New Diamond Goby...Acclimation problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new Diamond Goby today to do some sand sifting. We acclimated him over a period of one hour by letting his bag he came in float in my tank, and adding water from my tank a little at a time. He hasn't spent any time on the bottom of the tank and has spent most of his time in the water getting pushed around by the currents of my powerheads. He swims up to the top and swims along the top, with his body in a vertical position, until he hits the powerhead, then he follows the current and starts all over again. Are these fish just really bad open water swimmers. Whenever he's moving around, his body is in a full vertical position. Water parameters are as follows:

Alkalinity: 12 dkH
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1.024
Water Temp: 78°
Calcium: 400
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Phosphates: 0.25

I noticed that one of the fins on his belly isn't moving like the other one. Would this cause him to swim the way he does. I've noticed that when he gets tired of swimming around, he will lay on the sand bed on his side and not move, then he gets up and starts swimming at the top again. Listed below are tank specs.

90 gallon tank.
115 pounds live rock.
2 BioWheel 280 filters.
2 Koralia 750 gph powerheads.
(Not sure on the light exactly off the top of my head but it is listed on my page)

Just curious, how did it turn out? I had a diamond but he was a jumper.

Sorry I don't have any advice/info.

He survived for 3 days and was thriving in the 10 gallon tank I had set up for him that day. We re-introduced him into my tank and he died 2 hours later. Water parameters were awesome and nothing else in the tank is having issues, do I'm not sure what happened. I was proud that I managed to nurse him back to health for the time we did. I've only been into aquariums for 6 months so this was a learning experience. And now I have a QT set up! My black brittle star I bought same day has grown 2 inches already! It's awesome. Gotta get a new Goby though. Are diamonds the best sand sifters or are there others I should check out?

They are great sand sifters. Mine was awesome before he jumped out of a small opening. It seems you need a very tight lid for diamonds.

I plan on getting another as soon as I remove my hob skimmer. I'm still breaking in my in sump skimmer.

PurplePolyp said:
He survived for 3 days and was thriving in the 10 gallon tank I had set up for him that day. We re-introduced him into my tank and he died 2 hours later. Water parameters were awesome and nothing else in the tank is having issues, do I'm not sure what happened. I was proud that I managed to nurse him back to health for the time we did. I've only been into aquariums for 6 months so this was a learning experience. And now I have a QT set up! My black brittle star I bought same day has grown 2 inches already! It's awesome. Gotta get a new Goby though. Are diamonds the best sand sifters or are there others I should check out?

Diamonds are the best in terms of sand shifting and being neat about it. They dont swim to the middle of the water column while letting the sand go through their gills ... i have a brown barred goby does a fantastic job better then any diamond but he take s a mouth full swims up then drops if you have any lower rocks they will tend to become full of sand.. i usally combat this with using a turkey baster and blowing water on the rocks which remove the sand.

Back
Top Bottom