New edition. 7" elagant coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want one of those so bad. I've heard clowns can host them too. My LFS said this is true but the elegances can eat the clowns. Is this true?

Photoevangelist said:
I want one of those so bad. I've heard clowns can host them too. My LFS said this is true but the elegances can eat the clowns. Is this true?

my clowns are currently hosting mine iv never heard of it eating clowns maybe if the fish is dead or dying

Photoevangelist said:

its at night so the elegance is almost closed

ForumRunner_20120301_043232.jpg

Chooch4044 said:
Awesome pic, for some reason my clowns won't host mine, nor will they host my bubble tip

mine move around sometimes they host my big ricordia mushroom too

My clowns almost killed my elegance due to hosting. Just keep an eye on the coral, it might not like the constant rubbing......

carey said:
My clowns almost killed my elegance due to hosting. Just keep an eye on the coral, it might not like the constant rubbing......

how long did that take and what were the signs i hope it won't b an issue for me since the never host the same thing for more then a month or less

It took about 3 weeks for it to start showing signs of stress. After another week or two there was almost nothing left of the coral. thats when I removed it and it started to heal back up a bit, then I gave it away when I sold a tank I had. :-( I really regret that now though lol

what where the signs just not expanding fully? that's to bad im sorry :( if that does happen to me i will remove the clowns they are mean anyways always nipping my fingers lol

The odds of keeping that long term are slim at best. the Indo elegance, which is what you have there, doesn't do very well in closed systems.

mr_X said:
The odds of keeping that long term are slim at best. the Indo elegance, which is what you have there, doesn't do very well in closed systems.

any advice on maximizing my chances? iv only had it for about 2 months

Nope. Just feed it on occasion I guess. I love those corals but I'll only buy the Aussie specimens. Just a little advice- you'll never see an Aussie elegance as big as the one you have. The collectors always frag them up before turning them in so they can get more money for multiple pieces. You will see that the skeleton is cut. Also, they are generally not as brightly colored as the Indonesian variety.

have u heard of anyone having success i did some quick reading and seems like indo ec have an extremely bad rep... some ppl say shade it?

It's photosynthetic. If it's wide open with the lights on, it's loving the light. I wouldn't shade it unless it was shriveling up with the light on.

that's what i figured my tank is over 2 feet high and its always open looks good so far

Back
Top Bottom