New Fellas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was sitting here watching my scallop as she smiled and inside there's a light show going on! These red small curtains on top and on bottom have a beam of light that flashes across them as she holds her mouth open. I had to look twice! No one told me she had lights. Where do I put the batteries LoL

Whaaa?? This is crazy. I already thought it resembled a muppet. Off to youTube I gotta see this raver scallop on video!

Really you didn't know they did that? That's the appeal of them and it looks awesome. Unfortunately these scallops tend to stay in the darker parts of the tank which usually means they aren't visible.

On youTube I found video of an "electric flame scallop"
see if this works... is yours making similar lights?
http://youtu.be/k7u2i-oaDeU

I also never heard of flashing aquarium species of any type.. I think the red on white is stunning and unique on its own

here is a really informative video about their care http://youtu.be/mbe9a01z0iM

(im jealous... also need a smile this week. just got a nice cleaner shrimp and got lucky, she's berried with eggs yay!)

They are very beautiful creatures and the electric flashes make them even cooler. There are actually many species that can rapidly flash like that. Look up flasher wrasse. There is another kind of fish similar to a wrasse that does it and looks even more impressive than the flame scallop but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

Yep those are the lights! But I also caught them with my main light on and you can see her pretty red. But no I had no clue the scallop could do that. Most I knew about a scallop before I met this one was they taste good in garlic and butter. :s I took a crash corse on scallops all the way to the register.

Mmmmmm garlic and butter lmao. I thought I recognized your name from your shrimp thread. I just got some new stuff today but not nearly as "flashy" or rewarding as your guys purchases. Orange spot diamond goby, sea hare and snails pale in comparison. But my sea hare is black with blue spots!!!!!

Show some pics!!!! I love seeing new things and I haven't seen a few on that list of yours!

Everyone need to understand I've been studying corals for a reef tank not the fish and other animals. When I got these new fellas I was wanting a brain but the 3 they had on hand didn't look the healthiest. I'm usually very patient when buying. I had intentions of getting the shrimp and anemone but the scallop was a spontaneous purchase. There was only one in the tank and I was jump kick a couple who were looking at it and I couldn't chance losing the opportunity.

I brought home some new fellas! Now I sit back for a while and maintain for a while before bringing anything else into the family. Oh and my clown finally bonded with the anemone today! My skunk shrimp had shed too. Today was like Christmas!

A moon coral and a candy cane coral.

Attachments

• image-994472569.jpg
    image-994472569.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-256103388.jpg
    image-256103388.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3118975801.jpg
    image-3118975801.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image-629088110.jpg