New Fellas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I needed a smile so I went by my fish store and saw a fella I just fell in love with. Originally I was thinking I'd pick up a brain coral. This was a firemouth scallop. Just beautiful! So I also picked up a skunk shrimp and a bubble anemone.

Now I've never seen a scallop in a tank before so I really know nothing about the lil fella. I'm open to feeding suggestions and any other info offered.

Guess I'll have to go back another day for that brain :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 155
Mmm
Don't know no a lot about them, I believe they have to be target fed. I heard they were difficult to take care of but I asked a guy at my LFS and he said he kept one with no problems other than it moved itself to the back of the tank behind some rocks so he was never able to really enjoy it. Hope you have better luck

Filter feeder wc are a big help and some feed phytoplankton once or twice a week. Just don't overfeed. I had one for six month looked great then one day my shrimp was having scallop.

Ok well maybe getting the cute shrimp too wasn't such a grand idea :s
And I'm understanding the phytoplankton however, "filter feeder wc" I don't know. Plus I want to double check that target feeding or hand feeding is ok?

As soon as he gets comfy or hungry e nought in my lil piece of the reef I'll put his pic in my album.

Filter feeding is the scallop siphoning in water and blowing it out to get food. Wc is water changes. With the phytoplankton just a little medicine syringe and shot it near him or just squirt some in and it moves around. Did you happen to buy it at fintastics?

Filter feeding is the scallop siphoning in water and blowing it out to get food. Wc is water changes. With the phytoplankton just a little medicine syringe and shot it near him or just squirt some in and it moves around. Did you happen to buy it at fintastics?
I actually purchase from Suncoast pets. There was an "incident" with my first store. I'm not caught up on all the letters y'all are using LFS is another one I don't know about.

He's finally opened up and smiling at me :D yep it's gonna be hide and seek after tonight lol

LFS = local fish store (or local fish shop? )

People use acronyms for long named species and it gets confusing... RCS is red cherry shrimp, HM is half moon Betta or GBR is German Blue Ram I think

Nice FMS!!!

Nice purchase, the flame scallops are very cool. My father inlaw had one for a while but got rid of it due to it moving around all the time and knocking around his coral. Just make sure to target feed it with phyto plankton like was already mentioned.

For the common abbreviations you can hover over it with your cursor and the words will pop up on your screen.

I don't have a curser. I either go to web page on my iPad or use the app on my iPhone or iPad. I don't use a laptop.

Me too, iPhone all the way. Actually I have a laptop but I only use it for photography purposes. As much as I resisted and teased all my nerd friends I too now have a serious smart phone addiction (but FB? Nevar!!)

I'm going to ask my lfs if he ever gets scallops in. I once bought a "mussel", very regular looking black mussel just like we see at restaurants and on the beach here on the west coast (CA) but that scallop has such a pretty smile :D

The pretty smile is what sold me and I asked and asked questions at the store to make sure I had what I needed to care for her. I've named her Hot Lips like chic from M.A.S.H. If that doesn't give away my age! Hahaha
Target feeding wasn't something that I was told but its not a big deal since I'm in there up to my elbows feeding my polyps. They were sad looking when I first got the tank. Even my waving hands that I found buried in the sand are just so happy now and waving.

Hot Lip's has definitely caught center spot light in the tank. She stuck her tongue out in that one lol

Attachments

• image-1802504999.jpg
    image-1802504999.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3951085509.jpg
    image-3951085509.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image-704975810.jpg
    image-704975810.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 93
Oh and here's Frank the shrimp and Larry the anemone. My daughter insists everyone has a name. Lol. The anemone found a comfy spot in the back corner of the tank. He obviously didn't get the message to move up front for me to stare and enjoy him.

Attachments

• image-3876507535.jpg
    image-3876507535.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1337767774.jpg
    image-1337767774.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 116
Haha great shots! I love my cleaner shrimp, he cleans my cuticles for me, I amaze my husband who knows I have arachnophobia yet am still braver than he with shrimp time

It took some getting used to having a skunk cleaner. Everytime I would put my hands in the tank he would jump on me and it would startle me everytime. Very cool little critters.

Back
Top Bottom