New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reedw20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1519351245.907832.jpg

Currently I have the Topfin filter in the back of my tanks, it seems not to work great because it's bulky and the filter cartitdges get dirty super quick, because I'm soon going to take the top of my tank off and replacing it with just a light , I was wondering if there is a better option for a filtration device

Yes! Many different options! How big is the tank? I'm assuming it's smaller since you only have 1 filter so I'll start there. You could look into AquaClear filters and Fluval C series filters as filters that are similar to the top fin one but much better quality. I personally have a Fluval c2 and love it. You could also look into sponge filters that run on an air pump, pretty good filters unless you need to run carbon to remove medication/tannins/etc. I would recommend either the AquaClear or Fluval C series out of the options.
Other types of filters include wet/dry, trickle tower, and canister. Those are more advanced filters and not recommended for smaller tanks. Hope this helped!

View attachment 307330

Currently I have the Topfin filter in the back of my tanks, it seems not to work great because it's bulky and the filter cartitdges get dirty super quick, because I'm soon going to take the top of my tank off and replacing it with just a light , I was wondering if there is a better option for a filtration device

I’d say a sump and run some hardcore filtration through there

Yes! Many different options! How big is the tank? I'm assuming it's smaller since you only have 1 filter so I'll start there. You could look into AquaClear filters and Fluval C series filters as filters that are similar to the top fin one but much better quality. I personally have a Fluval c2 and love it. You could also look into sponge filters that run on an air pump, pretty good filters unless you need to run carbon to remove medication/tannins/etc. I would recommend either the AquaClear or Fluval C series out of the options.
Other types of filters include wet/dry, trickle tower, and canister. Those are more advanced filters and not recommended for smaller tanks. Hope this helped!

I have a 30 gal 30 by 12 inch rectangle, thank you so much this really helps

I would run a Fluval aquaclear 50 at minimum. You should run 2x-3x the filtration for the size of your tank. I'm not opposed to a Marineland Penguin 200 and remove the bio wheel. They run filters already and the bio wheel is garbage.

No problem! I agree with King with running extra filtration, I would look for a filter atleast 240 GPH, with a type of filter like the Hang on back (Hob) like you have, you want a turnover rate of 8-10x per hour which would mean at 240gph it filters all the tank water 8 times per hour. However I would steer clear from marineland filters, I find them to be inconsistent and not very strong. Mine died every power outage and every time I turned it off for a week and killed the motor eventually

View attachment 307330

You have a lot of options. If you want to stick with HOB filters, I swear by Aquaclears. The big selling point is that the media basket allows you to put any media you want in it, rather than being forced to buy a proprietary (and often more expensive) product.

Is this for saltwater?
I would not use a canister on marine..
Even HOBs are questionable depending on tank size..
What size tank do you have ?

I ran a job aquaclear on my 20 gallon when I had it but I took the sponge out and ran carbon and purigen in it. That way it didn’t get clogged up as bad.

Get an aquaclear 70.
If your stocking allows for current maybe even the 110.
Do you have circulation pumps in the tank?

Wave makers /powerheads ..
Most marine roll ten times filter turn over and 20 times circulation.
That depends on your stocking though.
A larger filter can help to count towards circulation IMO..

Back
Top Bottom