New filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaveChild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have a 55gal aquarium and I am running an emperor 400 bio wheel filter. From what I hear these are not very good filters for sw setups. And from my experience they don't seem to clean debris from the water very well. Everything (fish poop) seems to settle to the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better filter for my tank??

Other equip includes: Prizm skimmer, maxijet 400&1200 power heads (1 each), Visi-Therm 200 Watt Heater, 50+lbs live rock.

Also where would the best places for my power heads be for maximum circulation? Currently I have the 1200 at the top left center of the tank and the 400 at the bottom right back (blowing behind my LR) but I still seem to have a lot of "dead" spots.

Live stock includes: 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 3 srtipe damsel, 1 blue devil damsel, 1 neon dottyback, 2 hermit crabs (1 large and 1 small), and 9 snails.

looking at your setup, I don't think you NEED mechanical filtration. You probably need more live rock added before you can completely remove the filter.

Keep in mind the filter IS NOT gonna capture much fish poo. that's why you have a clean up crew, good circulation, protein skimming, and good water change habits.

Back
Top Bottom