New Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

So unfortunately I had to take my twin spot goby back :/ Couldn't get him eating enough. At least he is in a more established tank now and can get all the food he needs.

Some happier news..I got a couple new tank mates today for my clown! A really nice looking tailspot blenny, and sort of an impulse buy in a cool looking hermit crab that was only a couple bucks. I was told it was a blue-eyed hermit. You can see him in the pics attached. Still debating if he is too big for my 14G biocube...he has some big ol' claws on him haha.

I have noticed that the blenny will change colors...alternating from the solid color of his body (the purple-ish color) to having a few white spots on him. At first I thought he might be sick, but then I literally watched the white fade away lol. Is this normal?

Gonna let the blenny get acclimated for a week or so and then hopefully add the final two fish to my tank - a small fire shrimp and a SMALL yellowtail damsel. :fish2:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 91
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 94
The blenny is very cool. :) and I personally like different hermits, better than the old run of the mill stuff. lol

If you have any other hermits though watch out, they kill each other for their shells. :-( You can usually get some empty shells from the LFS.

Yeah I have already had 1 red-leg hermit pull another out of his shell, which led to the cleaner shrimp eating the exposed crab haha. I agree with you though, wanted to add a different kind of hermit to add a little variety to the tank. I have 3 smaller normal red-leg hermits..so I don't think the new one will be trying to steal their shells...he's too big haha. I just hope that the new hermit doesn't have any problems with my fish (snapping at them with his claws). I was told he should be ok though

I have that same crab and he killed my staghorn, anyone that is smaller than him he leaves alone, he only kills hermits his size or larger that appear to be a threat, aside from that he is the bst hermit crab i have ever had, so much personality, hes such a jerk :p

yeah my other hermit crabs are definitely smaller than him, so I doubt he will have any issue with them. He is pretty big though. Not sure if I should keep him or get something a little smaller

Back
Top Bottom