new fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think it would be easy to catch cleaner shrimp, every time I stick my hand in the tank to work my cleaner jumps on and cleans me.

I would think it would be easy to catch cleaner shrimp, every time I stick my hand in the tank to work my cleaner jumps on and cleans me.

+1 mine does the same thing! It freaks me out though haha

I am not trying to start anything here. But I find it funny how this guy who has done some homework and has the foresight to ask about the tangs gets lectured. But in another post a member who has a tank similar in size and happens to be a pretty girl post her tank on here and has like 3 tangs and no one says a word about it. Just a observation is all.

I happen to be a pro tang person in the sense that i dont flip out when someone wants to put a couple of tangs in a smaller size tank (smaller than 75). But some people tend to make it obvious that they feel VERY VERY strongly about a tangs "rights". Tang arguments are getting old and most of them are widely based on emotion instead of fact. I feel that if someone wants to put three tangs in a 55 gallon tank they should be able to do so without getting harassed and badgered, while getting concrete information that will help them rather than just put them down.

I happen to be a pro tang person in the sense that i dont flip out when someone wants to put a couple of tangs in a smaller size tank (smaller than 75). But some people tend to make it obvious that they feel VERY VERY strongly about a tangs "rights". Tang arguments are getting old and most of them are widely based on emotion instead of fact. I feel that if someone wants to put three tangs in a 55 gallon tank they should be able to do so without getting harassed and badgered, while getting concrete information that will help them rather than just put them down.

I totally agree with you. I think if you want a smaller tang for a lil while and then switch it out when it gets bigger which takes some time is totally ok. I was just commenting on the fact that it didn't take not even a page on ur post before someone said something about it. And on another post that's like 15 pages long no one said a word is all.

Concrete information yes, but justification for not trying to help a new comer not make his next post "why does my tang have white spots?" Thats when i get in trouble for pointing out the same old same old. Tangs are in general not as simple to keep IMO as they are easily stressed if not housed and fed properly. Certainly a 1" tang in a 55 is good for a few years, but if you are successful, it will grow pretty fast. It was always hard to give up the fish when it got big, so the tanks got larger and larger at my house. Beware. I am not sure there is a cure for this or any going back. ;-)

I saw a video of a tank on YouTube that kinda made me sick. It looked like maybe a 50 gallon no bigger than 75. I know pics and videos make things look smaller but I at least know it wasn't big enough. they had a huge powder blue tang, yellow tang, naso tang, 2 of those big fancy angels I think one is called an emperor angel? 2 triggers, a freakin Moorish idol, and I saw an ocellaris clownfish cowering under a rock. And I'm not exaggerating. That's when I'm like ok you shouldn't have those fish in there.

Anyways my kole tang did good in my 75 before I switched to the 120 gallon. Until he got stuck under a rock :( he was my favorite fish. he would swim all over the place. He was the coolest to watch. When you look for a tang just make sure he's out swimming and not hiding. And in regards to what some people were saying I didn't know white tail bristletooth tangs were that rare. I've seen 3 in the past couple months. One at each of the stores I go to. Guess I should of gotten one.

I got a two spotted bristletooth tang! Perfect size and dosnt get too much bigger. I'll post pics when i can! He started swimming through all of the caves and was picking off the rocks instanly when introduced in the tank. He ate my meaty mysis but didnt seem interested in algae paper at all.. Ill give it time though. Really colorful.

Concrete information yes, but justification for not trying to help a new comer not make his next post "why does my tang have white spots?" Thats when i get in trouble for pointing out the same old same old. Tangs are in general not as simple to keep IMO as they are easily stressed if not housed and fed properly. Certainly a 1" tang in a 55 is good for a few years, but if you are successful, it will grow pretty fast. It was always hard to give up the fish when it got big, so the tanks got larger and larger at my house. Beware. I am not sure there is a cure for this or any going back. ;-)

I get what you're saying and totally agree about one tank leading to a bigger one and so on. And even about the tangs even though I believe the op is not a beginner since he's had his tank running for 2 yrs. I would really like a tang in my 55 but don't want to have to worry about it cause I like you become attached to my pets plus trying to catch fish is not fun. I was merely stating how some posters are biased is all. Now I apologize to the op for getting off topic. Now on topic I think that a mimic tang and a fairy wrasse would be perfect last additions to ur tank and I'm sure whatever u decide u will have success in ur descision.

The Two Spots/Blue Eyes often look a lot better than their online pics give them credit for. I think if more people saw them live, they would be more popular for "smaller" tanks (75g). Good find!

I guess I am one of those "Tang rights" people, I just don't view it as "rights" as much as a health concern. I see so many "My Fish has Ich" posts and its almost always a fish in a tank that is considered "too small". Then it is usually followed by "I can't afford to QT...". I just hate to see people loose fish, not just Tangs, due to going against what I feel are fairly reasonable size recommendations.

We re did the rock setup on the left side of my tank last night as we took out a large rock to kill a eucinid worm O.O i'll post some pics of the fish tonight because the setup is alot more open.

A series of unfortunate events. Remember when i posted about doing my rock setup on the left side??? STUPID mistake by me. i really didnt pay much attention to how fragile my brand new fish was to stress. I am very very angry at myself for not thinking. and the moment ive been eluding to... the fish died last night. A MAJOR dissapointment as the fish was a perfect fit for my tank and a beautiful specimen. SOOOOO upset :/ sorry guys.
:banghead:

That stinks. It happens though and we usually learn from mistakes or mishaps.

Tangs are stressed very easily and due to their naturally thin slime coat are also more susceptible to diseases, parasites, etc. Stress lowers the immune system, which does not help. With new fish, but especially Tangs, its best to do everything possible to keep the tank stress-free at first. Don't move stuff around, have pristine water conditions (so do your water change before adding them), etc.

Some good news!!!! i see part of the eunicid worm haning out of the rock that i did a demin water dip with... The cleaner shrimp is picking at it and it barely moves which means its dead or dying!!! yayyyyy lolol. I also have some white stringy stuff coming out of the tissue of my doughnut coral. I cant decide if its damage or a reproductive proscess.. Back to researching!!

Back
Top Bottom