Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got a two spotted bristletooth tang! Perfect size and dosnt get too much bigger. I'll post pics when i can! He started swimming through all of the caves and was picking off the rocks instanly when introduced in the tank. He ate my meaty mysis but didnt seem interested in algae paper at all.. Ill give it time though. Really colorful.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Concrete information yes, but justification for not trying to help a new comer not make his next post "why does my tang have white spots?" Thats when i get in trouble for pointing out the same old same old. Tangs are in general not as simple to keep IMO as they are easily stressed if not housed and fed properly. Certainly a 1" tang in a 55 is good for a few years, but if you are successful, it will grow pretty fast. It was always hard to give up the fish when it got big, so the tanks got larger and larger at my house. Beware. I am not sure there is a cure for this or any going back.
I get what you're saying and totally agree about one tank leading to a bigger one and so on. And even about the tangs even though I believe the op is not a beginner since he's had his tank running for 2 yrs. I would really like a tang in my 55 but don't want to have to worry about it cause I like you become attached to my pets plus trying to catch fish is not fun. I was merely stating how some posters are biased is all. Now I apologize to the op for getting off topic. Now on topic I think that a mimic tang and a fairy wrasse would be perfect last additions to ur tank and I'm sure whatever u decide u will have success in ur descision.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The brissle tooth sounds like a good addition. Keep us all posted as to how he does.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Two Spots/Blue Eyes often look a lot better than their online pics give them credit for. I think if more people saw them live, they would be more popular for "smaller" tanks (75g). Good find!

I guess I am one of those "Tang rights" people, I just don't view it as "rights" as much as a health concern. I see so many "My Fish has Ich" posts and its almost always a fish in a tank that is considered "too small". Then it is usually followed by "I can't afford to QT...". I just hate to see people loose fish, not just Tangs, due to going against what I feel are fairly reasonable size recommendations.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

We re did the rock setup on the left side of my tank last night as we took out a large rock to kill a eucinid worm O.O i'll post some pics of the fish tonight because the setup is alot more open.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

A series of unfortunate events. Remember when i posted about doing my rock setup on the left side??? STUPID mistake by me. i really didnt pay much attention to how fragile my brand new fish was to stress. I am very very angry at myself for not thinking. and the moment ive been eluding to... the fish died last night. A MAJOR dissapointment as the fish was a perfect fit for my tank and a beautiful specimen. SOOOOO upset :/ sorry guys.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

That stinks. It happens though and we usually learn from mistakes or mishaps.

Tangs are stressed very easily and due to their naturally thin slime coat are also more susceptible to diseases, parasites, etc. Stress lowers the immune system, which does not help. With new fish, but especially Tangs, its best to do everything possible to keep the tank stress-free at first. Don't move stuff around, have pristine water conditions (so do your water change before adding them), etc.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some good news!!!! i see part of the eunicid worm haning out of the rock that i did a demin water dip with... The cleaner shrimp is picking at it and it barely moves which means its dead or dying!!! yayyyyy lolol. I also have some white stringy stuff coming out of the tissue of my doughnut coral. I cant decide if its damage or a reproductive proscess.. Back to researching!!

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com