New fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
How is everybody, I just put a powder blue tang in my 55gal soon to be reef, need more rocks and PC's. Should I get one of those clips to hold lettuce for him. I let some algae grow for about three weeks prior to buying him so he had something to eat. Should I get seaweed food. I think he lost some color due to the lack of greens in his diet at the LFS. He was at the LFS for almost two weeks. He's a really cool fish to watch, very active. I just hope he isn't bugged out by the new surroundings!

Congrats.. you should definitely clip some Nori for it to graze on. How big is it now? Be aware that when fully grown it will need a tank twice as big as you have at present.

Oh, powder blues are such beautiful fish. One of my favorties, and one of the easier marine fish to care for. Congratulations!

frshwaterfinatc said:
...and one of the easier marine fish to care for. Congratulations!

Are you sure about that? I've read that they do horribly in captivity. Most come down with disease and die off.

It depends if it's a true powder blue, or a simliar species sold as a 'powder blue'.
If I had my Conscientious Marine Aquarist book handy I could look it up, but I know they specifically mention that fish in the Tang section of the stocking guide.

IME they're one of the easier to care for. Have almost as good success with them as we do with yellow tangs, and those are hardy. I don't claim to be an expert, though- and there are exceptions to every rule, anyway.

Nori is fried sea weed strips used in make sushi. You can also get a product called "seaweed salad" from your LFS. I would be careful using fresh romain or any other type of lettuce. You do not know what chemicals are on it. My tangs love the dry stuff so give it a try. Good luck with the tang...watch for signs of ich. You may want to soak the nori in a garlic solution to boost immune system and appatite. Lando

Back
Top Bottom