Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

New fish and QT

Hi all,

I have been on the look out for a yellow tang for awhile. I want to get a nice healthy one and the ones at the LFS never seem to look nice.

There is a salt only fish store that has a large yellow tang for $29.99 that has been in the store for a month. I had seen it a few weeks ago and saw it again yesterday. His color did not look as nice yesterday but the store had just opened when I got there so maybe the lights had not been on long.

With a fish that has been in the LFS this long, is a QT still recommended? I have a 29 gal with some bad crabs and a puffer it. I have used this as a QT in the past and the puffer is waiting for me to finish the 72 gal tank for its move. I removed my royal gramma a few weeks ago that spent 4 weeks in the 29 gal but he really freaked out when I netted him out to move to the display. It is tough to rationalize the stress of removing them from the QT not hurting them.

Yellows seem to be fragile and don't want to lose another if I can help it. Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If you can, pick up a 10 or 20 gallon, but definately qt! Many fish go though a fish stores tanks and unless he has been in a tank by himself isolated from the rest of the system, the risk is too high IMO
Not worth the price of bringing something into your main. Besides, Yellows are ich magnets.
Once again...IMO

Old 07-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree and I have another 20 gal tank I could clean and use. I lost 1 yellow in QT due to ammonia problems and I lost another that went through the QT and then ended up dieing in the display - not sure what happened to him.

I think the 29 gal will work. It is established and has a seeded substrate. The gramma was in with the puffer so I think the tang would be ok too. When I removed the gramma, he put up a decent fight and after I acclimated him and added him to the display, he sunk to the bottom and laid there upside down. He did later come around and has been doing well ever since.

I want this fish to have every conceivable chance of living
Old 07-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure you can do it. Take it from me, I have had more than one battle with ammonia in qt. The secret is frequent water changes with light feeding. In fact with a Yellow, you can leave a clip of nori in the tank. It does not foul the water like frozen or flake food.
Good luck to you!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

quarryshark,

If I understand you, the nori decomposing doesn't affect water quality, specifically ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. That is interesting. I just assumed that was the cause of the ammonia rise in my QT. When I QT'd my Yellow Tang, I had to do more frequent water changes than with my perc, though I guess it might be related to the amount of waste each produced. I'm also having to do more frequent changes in the main after the addition of the Yellow. I guess I should look for another cause.

Thanks,

Jeff
304 Fluval
2 Maxijet 900 PHs
60# LR
1 Blue Damsel
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Percula Clown
1 Yellow Tang (Small)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Astrea, 3 Cerith, and Unknown Nassarius (LR hitch hikers Snails
jvennitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvennitti
quarryshark,

If I understand you, the nori decomposing doesn't affect water quality, specifically ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. That is interesting. I just assumed that was the cause of the ammonia rise in my QT. When I QT'd my Yellow Tang, I had to do more frequent water changes than with my perc, though I guess it might be related to the amount of waste each produced. I'm also having to do more frequent changes in the main after the addition of the Yellow. I guess I should look for another cause.

Thanks,

Jeff
I better clarify.
Well it doesn't degrade the water quality "as much" as frozen or flake, being that its not meat based,. I wouldn't leave it in 24/7, that may contribute. I just add the nori in the evening and pull it after a couple hours. I also place in in the AM and my wife removes it at lunchtime.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Uhmmm...My opinion is that quarantine tanks can be just one step away from the toilet. I never have much success quarantining. I just seem to kill fish that way. Maybe, I have been lucky, but I always just buy fish that have been in the store for a few weeks, and then dump them in my display tank and hold my breath. So far...I have never crashed a tank this way, in 12 years of fishkeeping....except that one time But, still! One time is not that bad compared to what I kill in qt
Old 08-01-2004, 01:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also...wanted to add, that if you really think the fish is healthy, I think it is a safe risk. Every time you move a fish, or expose it to chemicals, you stress it. So..you are balancing the amount of stress that qt or dips pose on a potentially healthy fish , vs less stress with immediate acclimation on a healthy fish into the main tank
Old 08-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Also...wanted to add, that if you really think the fish is healthy, I think it is a safe risk. Every time you move a fish, or expose it to chemicals, you stress it. So..you are balancing the amount of stress that qt or dips pose on a potentially healthy fish , vs less stress with immediate acclimation on a healthy fish into the main tank
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. The point with the qt is to make sure your other fish are not infected with a parasite from the new fish. The new fish may show no signs of sickness, but may still carry a desiese.

If the new fish introduces a parasite to the main tank, and other fish, then you will have to remove all fish from the main to a qt, which is going to cause a whole lot of stress on all. The point of the qt is to watch the fish, in a water environment you are familiar with. Alot of the water at the lfs are circulated through numerous amounts of tanks, exposing fish to many parasites.

PLEASE, PLEASE QT! QT! QT!!

Take it from me, quarryshark, and thousands of others. Save yourself some heartache. HTH!
Old 08-01-2004, 02:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyMel
Uhmmm...My opinion is that quarantine tanks can be just one step away from the toilet. I never have much success quarantining. I just seem to kill fish that way. Maybe, I have been lucky, but I always just buy fish that have been in the store for a few weeks, and then dump them in my display tank and hold my breath. So far...I have never crashed a tank this way, in 12 years of fishkeeping....except that one time But, still! One time is not that bad compared to what I kill in qt
Yup, you have been lucky. Won't last forever.

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com