New Fish.. now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericosuave

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got my first fish in the tank.. a Flame Angel.. he was stressed a little when i first brought him home.. but now he seems to be doing better.. my tank temperature is about 76 to 78 degrees. does this sound right? I have had the flame in the tank for 2 days now and he rarely ever comes out.. is this normal? will he ever come out? can i train him or something? please let me know how i am doing.. i dont want this little buddy to die!! hes awesome.

and i might be leaving for about 2 weeks.. so how can i keep my fish alive while im gone?

well all fish will hide.. i mean he was in a tank until you bought him.. and being bagged and bounced aorund would scare the bejeebus out of anyone. He/she just needs time. You could get a timer feeder if feeding flake sor other dry food.

not too bad, most reef keepers like it around 78-80.. maybe you should keep it around that, but then again its just me :p

cool... i have to re-arrange my rocks because im getting some more new rocks.. do you think it will be ok for the flame angel? or will he die when im moving the rocks? should i take him out of the tank or something?

Ok ericosuave from what I understand you should prolly just let the tank be for about 2 weeks so he can asjust to his new home.. Then if you want to put in small amounts of new rock it will probably not be a big deal.. If you put in too much the die off could be so great that the ammonia will shoot up and make the water toxic so you may want to be careful and add the rock slowly over time..As for the rearranging You would have to wait to hear from the experts here I have not done that before so I can't help you there..

Doan

If it's live rock you're talking about it's best to cure it before introducing it into your tank, then you can put in as much as you want all at one time. Here is an artile about curing live rock: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=6

If you're talking about just normal rock you will be okay adding it, however IMO waiting a couple weeks until the fish is eating and back to full strengh would be your best bet. If you do it now you will only stress him out more.

You should of course be very carefull when moving the rocks around, your best bet will probably remove him from the tank if you feel that you may harm him in the process.

awesome! thanks for the helpful information guys... i really appreciate it! :) happy holidays to you guys as well!

Back
Top Bottom