Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
New Fish OK for coral??

I have a friend that is going to give us 3 free fish!? Its a Cowfish, puffer, and a cucumber. Are these coral safe? I'm not sure what kind of puffer fish it is, and the cucumber is long and black. Just wondering if this could be anything good for my tank? We currently have a Naso Tang, Clown, Key-hole angel fish, feather duster, frogspawn, toadstool, and a few others. Please let me know if these fish will work before I take them and they mess up my tank!!!

If you could, please e-mail me the replys.

edited to remove e-mail adress, link added instead. steve-s

Old 10-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to crazyrebel003
i have heard that the cowfish could poison the tank if they get stressed so that is probably not a good idea. The puffer is more agressive and will eat the invertebrates and maybe some corals. I have also heard that the cucumber can release poison if it dies and a mojor water change would have to be done. i would stay away from the cucumber for any tank and if you were going to accept the other ones i would put them in a fish only tank.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to silverain420 Send a message via Yahoo to silverain420
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the cowfish. My concern would be that there is enough macro algae that they could graze on. Other than that they are very peaceful fish. The puffer may cause him a little stress though. And as aforementioned, puffers generally are not reef safe. Cucumbers, I hear are heard to keep because they tend to starve to death after they eat all of the food sources in the tank. Someone with more experience could probably offer better advice there... How big is your tank? All three of those need quite a bit of room...

--A life without ecstacy is not true life, and not worth living. -Eliot Cowan--
silverain420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
The cowfish would be the best choice of the three. Puffers are not reefsafe, as they constantly wear down their teeth on rock. Makes a real good mess. The cuke, as stated is hard to keep, but according to your experience level, make a nice addition to a well established tank.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
the new fish in tank

We have a 65 Gal.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The viability of the cuke will depend greatly on what kind it is. Some cukes are filter feeders, depending greatly on supplemental live plankton feeding. Others, such as the Tigertail cuke are sand sifters, and require a DSB to thrive.

HTH,

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com