Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Fish won't eat

Added new Foxface and Hippo (Blue) Tang. They don't swim around much and they dont eat. The Blue Tang hardly ever mooves.

How do I get them to eat before they die?

Old 12-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long have you had them?
What are your levels at? (Amm, Nitrite, Nitrate & PH)
How long has the tank been set up?
Just curious Why no Live Rock?

Kaye

Old 12-25-2003, 12:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
I would try garlic extrem. You soak there food in it.

Good luck Dewey
Old 12-26-2003, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Sometimes live brine will get a newbie fish to start eating. Try several different types of foods, too. It's a good idea to feed several types at all times, to try and help insure that the fish get all of the nutrients they need.

Before you buy any fish, ask the clerk in your LFS to feed it before he nets it, and with you watching. Some wild caught fish just won't take to captivity and will die. If it eats in the store before you take it home, then there's a good chance it'll live.

Make sure that your tank has a few hiding places. Several rocks piled together makes nice dark crevices and caves for the fish to hide in. Many fish, especially Hippo tangs, need hiding places to feel secure, and especially when added to a new tank.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cajunbaby75
the garlic extreme can also be added to tank at the rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons to help the fish that arent eating to bite its a attractant also very good to help build the immune systems, also try sea veggies with a veggie clip, i have a clown tang that wont eat flake food so hes eats sea weed <only the green> i have found my tangs love the LR for shelter and the filtrations is needed also good luck i hope this helps
Old 01-08-2004, 06:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also had the problem with Kaudern's cardinal, I bought it few days ago, it looks so hungry, when a dirt fly over, it would clap its mouth, looks like wanted to have a bite. But it won't eat anything I fed it, I tried freeze blood worms, freeze brine shrimp, pellets, flakes, all he is not interested. I even use a sea weed clip to clip freeze blood worms so they don't fly around, but he ignore it. I'm so afraid it would die of hunger. But it still looks healthy though. BTW my water perimeter is ok. Any one had any ideas on how to make him eat his 1st meal at his new house? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
steve-s

I would skip the freeze dried and start on the frozen. Either mysis or brine in the beginning as is and properly thawed. Once it's accepting those then soak the foods in a good liquid vitamin to bolster what's lacking. In time you will be able to switch to something less polluting and more nutritious. The mysis will still probabley be a plus though. You may also want to try <<blender mush>>

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would live fresh water krill be a good choice for cardinal?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

mabe im just really lucky but after my luck with the four spot butterfly and now a copperbanded which neither of them would eat mysis or brine the same for the cardinal but all loved this food -------
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...565&in_merch=1

they all love this stuff and doing great on it !! seams to me after they start eating this they open up more to other foods !! butterfly eats some mysis now but loves the zoo !!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Would live fresh water krill be a good choice for cardinal?
Most if not all FW foods will not benefit SW animals and can actualy cause intestinal problems. Stick with enriched foods prepared for SW animals and you willl have less problems. The exception of that being mysis relicta. Mysis is very high in protein and fats but should also be augmented with a good marine vitamin when possible.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com