New Fish won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Added new Foxface and Hippo (Blue) Tang. They don't swim around much and they dont eat. The Blue Tang hardly ever mooves.

How do I get them to eat before they die?

How long have you had them?
What are your levels at? (Amm, Nitrite, Nitrate & PH)
How long has the tank been set up?
Just curious Why no Live Rock?

Kaye

Sometimes live brine will get a newbie fish to start eating. Try several different types of foods, too. It's a good idea to feed several types at all times, to try and help insure that the fish get all of the nutrients they need.

Before you buy any fish, ask the clerk in your LFS to feed it before he nets it, and with you watching. Some wild caught fish just won't take to captivity and will die. If it eats in the store before you take it home, then there's a good chance it'll live.

Make sure that your tank has a few hiding places. Several rocks piled together makes nice dark crevices and caves for the fish to hide in. Many fish, especially Hippo tangs, need hiding places to feel secure, and especially when added to a new tank.

the garlic extreme can also be added to tank at the rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons to help the fish that arent eating to bite its a attractant also very good to help build the immune systems, also try sea veggies with a veggie clip, i have a clown tang that wont eat flake food so hes eats sea weed <only the green> i have found my tangs love the LR for shelter and the filtrations is needed also good luck i hope this helps

I also had the problem with Kaudern's cardinal, I bought it few days ago, it looks so hungry, when a dirt fly over, it would clap its mouth, looks like wanted to have a bite. But it won't eat anything I fed it, I tried freeze blood worms, freeze brine shrimp, pellets, flakes, all he is not interested. I even use a sea weed clip to clip freeze blood worms so they don't fly around, but he ignore it. I'm so afraid it would die of hunger. But it still looks healthy though. BTW my water perimeter is ok. Any one had any ideas on how to make him eat his 1st meal at his new house? Any help would be appreciated.

I would skip the freeze dried and start on the frozen. Either mysis or brine in the beginning as is and properly thawed. Once it's accepting those then soak the foods in a good liquid vitamin to bolster what's lacking. In time you will be able to switch to something less polluting and more nutritious. The mysis will still probabley be a plus though. You may also want to try <<blender mush>>

Cheers
Steve

mabe im just really lucky but after my luck with the four spot butterfly and now a copperbanded which neither of them would eat mysis or brine the same for the cardinal but all loved this food -------
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...tid=5011&R=9599&N=2004+6000+113565&in_merch=1

they all love this stuff and doing great on it !! seams to me after they start eating this they open up more to other foods !! butterfly eats some mysis now but loves the zoo !!

mansiz said:
Would live fresh water krill be a good choice for cardinal?
Most if not all FW foods will not benefit SW animals and can actualy cause intestinal problems. Stick with enriched foods prepared for SW animals and you willl have less problems. The exception of that being mysis relicta. Mysis is very high in protein and fats but should also be augmented with a good marine vitamin when possible.

Cheers
Steve

BTW whats a zooplankton? Is it some kind of worms or? I don't know if my LFS sell them or not, you bought from LFS right?

I've had good success with squid. There is a vitachem that is high in vitamin C that helps stimulate appetite. We just got in an Asfur Angel, a soaring hawk, three semilavaritis butterfly, a purple tang, a red file, a green file, and a pink tail trigger and this new chemical is working great. Usually we lose one or two because they aren't eating (quarintine is stressful) but this stuff works great. I've never used garlic, so I can't tell you anything about it.

Also vitachem helped to get out Cross hatch Trigger to start eating again. He was suffering from a mysterious growth which went away as quickly as it appeared.

Also vitachem helped to get out Cross hatch Trigger to start eating again. He was suffering from a mysterious growth which went away as quickly as it appeared.

Back
Top Bottom