New Flame Angel......AKA Coral Nipper???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all. I just recently added and subtracted a beautiful Flame angel to my 125g reef tank. The fish swam around ate what I fed it, and nipped at xenia, Kenya, and Monti Digita. It didnt actually eat, I dont think, but it did nip. The guy at the lfs said that it would do that, but that is all it would do.

I have been wanting one, so I took the chance. After a while of nipping, I removed it and put it into my coral prop tank until I figure out what I am going to do.

I know it is 50/50 with these guys, but what do you think. The guy at the lfs is a friend so his advice is unbiased and without motive. I called him and told him about what was going on, and he said that was normal and that it wouldnt actully hurt anything, but that it would nip and to just keep it fed good.

I am reluctant to say the least........

What do you all think, and what is your experience?

PS. This angel is rather large, probably close to adulthood which may be some cause.

i adopted one that almost killed a 60g reef over a couple monthes after 2 or 3 weeks of trying to catch it the tank had to be striped down

i wouldnt try it its gonna go wrong sooner or later

The nipping will discourage the polyps from extending and affect the survival of the corals. I wouldn't keep a known nipper, personally.

I have always wanted one as well but never have wanted to risk it. I know some of the local reefers have tried differnt varieties of Centropyge with success. One guy swears that the Atlantic Pygmy is the safest but alas they are not as pretty.

I would not risk it either. Sorry Rev.

Well you all are right. I am going to trade it, or sell it. A guy in my reef club has had one for a whil with no destruction. I had to devide the tank and tear down one whole side of the reef to get to it. It'snot going back in. Thanks for the truth.......Dang IT!!! :p

PS. What do you suggest I add to the fish line up?

Heres what I have.....
Naso Tang
Regal Tang
Pair B/W Percs
Pair Orang Percs
Skunk Clown
Manderin Goby

Sounds like a lot of fish, but it looks so empty. I would like another fish that gets somewhat medium in size not too big, but not small by any means...

Oh yea, I lost the PBT a long while back in qt..... :(

Whoops I should have clarified it better...

I already have the fish in the line up, I want to add one that is not in the line up..

Thanks Hara..

How about a clown tang? Love them.

Like to add one into my upcomeing 120 gal. Also, I think sailfin tangs are awesome. Small cluster of Antias maybe?

I know! Ornate wrasse. Love them too :!: :D

I have never had good luck with any dwarf angel in my reef. I spend more time trying to catch them then it is worth. The constant nipping will just cause the coral to retract and not extend, it is not like they are doing a lot of damage.
What do you suggest I add to the fish line up?
Got a royal gramma in there yet? :wink:

I dont see why you wont be able to add both the 5 BC's and the gramma..

Once the BC's grow accustom to your tank they'll begin to hang out the front of your tank, whereas the gramma will certainly add some personality amongst the rockwork..!

Back
Top Bottom