New Flame angel and Sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got this guy for $38
Ive always wanted one but it was like $80 at my lfs

ForumRunner_20120503_234017.jpg

Any tips on caring for the Sun Coral?
Read that yhey have to be feed daily
Is this correct?

ForumRunner_20120503_234145.jpg

Awesome deal man. I love the flame. Would you mind updating on this thread about how he is in the reef? I am really considering one for my 66

Beautiful fish and coral! I've always wanted a sun coral but they're very pricey around here and seem to be a lot to take care of. I'm not sure how often you have to feed it but I know you have to spot feed each individual head

When I first got mine I heard 2 things. 1. feed daily. 2. feed every single polyp of they will die.

I feel after having one for almost a year and the other for 6 months that this isn't necessary. I feed mine every second day, sometimes third and never get every polyp.

My trick to get them out is to use one of the following in a turkey baster and just blast a little at it...

Phyto plankton
Coral Frenzy
The water from thawed mysis shrimp

Just suck a little up, squit it at the coral and it should "wake up". Then after 10 minutes start feeding.

You'll read all sorts of advice if you google about removing the coral and putting it in a bucket, they adding food to the bucket and letting it sit. This isn't necessary IMO. I've also read about cutting the top off a bottle and putting it in the tank. This works but I found it to a be a step that i really didn't need to do. As long as you can distract your fish away from it for a few mintues while it eats you should be fine.

Yeah, I agree with Chin. I feed mine every other day with PE Mysis, sometimes more if I have time and see its extended. But usually every other day. I've had it about 14 monhs. Doesn't look quite as good as when I bought it, some of the outer polyps have deteriorated. But at the same time. It has new polyps forming in the middle, between heads. Idk if that's how they roll or what, but every other day seems sufficient.

I purchase a Sun coral about a month ago. My fish are very greedy and aggressive, so I use the top half of a soda bottle method. (my cleaner shrimp really works hard to steal food from my sun coral). Animal -chin, do you also feed it mysis or only the liquid solution you described? Thanks!

I guess i will try to feed it everyday but i have days where i dnt have time or am too lazy
Lol
Abd i have been using the top og a gatorade bottle to feed it
Its a nice coral
Just wish it would open up during the day
It has three small feather dusters/ tube worms attached to the rock its attached to which are awsome to watch:D

Yes, i feed them mysis after I wake them up. Sometimes i just feed them cyclopeze but 95% of the time is mysis, they love it....

I Love my Flame Angel
Has'nt messed with any of my corals and is not a boring fish at all
It is so colorful and is constantly swimming through the rock work
GReat Fish!!!

Don't want to crash the party but I got a flame a week ago and he killed my acans with all the nipping!! It's a 50/50 chance but yea they are great looking fish. Some say after a couple of years good flames sometimes turn rogue and start nipping.. I returned him.. Hmm I am tempted to get another. But the 4 hour battle to get him out is something I never want to do again especially cuz I had to take out all my rock.. Ha. Keep an eye on that bugger

For my sun coral I use a cup and I cut the bottom off. I feed it directly threw the cup. Seems to be working. I've had it for 5 months now. I had a bad experience with a flame angel so I re homed it, it nipped a lot of my corals.

View attachment 93511

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
For my sun coral I use a cup and I cut the bottom off. I feed it directly threw the cup. Seems to be working. I've had it for 5 months now. I had a bad experience with a flame angel so I re homed it, it nipped a lot of my corals.

Which types??

Back
Top Bottom