Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
New flame angel hiding???

I have just bought this flame angel 2 days ago. He is always grazing between the rock works and seldom swim out. He will swim very quickly between the rocks and nip at some algae and stuffs. I can tell he is not sick. He is very active just scare of coming out I would suppose. Is this normal? Or flame angels are just rock grazers?

I fed other tank mates mysis, brine shrimps, pellets, flakes, nori he hardly ever took a bite, he just continue nipping stuffs that are on the rocks. Will he starve to death?

I don't have any coral in the tank, my tank is a FOWLR so nothing to worry about him nipping coral.

weekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Keep an eye on him . It may take him a bit longer to adjust to your system ... Just make sure that he eats . From what I remember of reading on them they will pick stuff off the rocks . Here is an excerpt from live aquaria
The diet of the Flame Angelfish should consist of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysid or frozen shrimp, and other high-quality meaty items.

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I had mine, the first week or so he was just grazing on the rockwork. Then one day out of the blue he just started eating. Try garlic extract, it may work for it. HTH
ntswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
He`s doing fine nipping off the rock. He`s eating specks of algea off the rock. When that is gone he`ll start eating your food preparations. I used to have one and he did the same thing. Had to give him an eviction notice after he started munching on my brain coral.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have over 100lbs of LR in my 46gal tank. There are lots of nooks, crannys, and caves to get lost in if my fish want to. When I bought a Flame Angel, I barely saw him for over a week. After that I would see him make brief appearances at the front of the tank. It took about 2-3 weeks before he was comfortable enough to come out regularely. He still likes to disappear in the caves but comes out all the time now.

Give it some time.
46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
3rd day major breadthrough finally he start eating the frozen food I fed today. Not a big bite but I can see him eat a little. He still likes to nip on the rocks.

He actually already swimming all over the rocks the first day I got him. Just when I go near the tank he will go in hiding. I now hope he will take more food tomorrow to get himself healthy.

weekf is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, flame, flame angel, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com