Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

New frags and dripping

Hi all,

I got a shipment of frags today and the shipment ended up taking 2 days instead of 1. They shipped Mon. afternoon and I got them today. I am worried how they are doing and the water quality in the bags. Should I drip them faster than normal or just treat them as usual and see how it turns out?

BTW, is 2 days acceptable for frag survival?

Thanks

Pics when they open up

Old 05-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I wouldn't worry too much if the water temp was pretty constant during the 2 days. I would drip them like usual, hurrying the acclimation won't benefit the frags IMO

Old 05-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Two days for frags I would think is okay so long as the temp didn't get super low and you didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, I.E. putrid smell from the bag or super cloudy water. IMO they have made it two days, I would stick to your routine that you know and give them a good safe drip.

Thats about the best info I can give you without knowing what kind of frags you actually have.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
BTW, is 2 days acceptable for frag survival?
Depends on the frags, water temperature/quality, outside temperature, and transportation method. SPS, Xenia, and LPS seem to be the hardest to ship. Anything over a day can be trouble with these guys. The softies, shrooms, polyps, etc... seem to ship much easier and shouldn't have a problem surviving 2 days in a shipping box.

I would continue to drip them as normal. You don't want to rush anything at this point as this could weaken the frags even more.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The frags were zoos, shrooms and a few leathers.

No bad smells so far. A couple of the bags have bigger rocks in them and have some debris but I figure that it is from the rock. The temps never got cold but the day temps were in the 80's. They were packed in a styrofoam cooler, triple bagged and newspaper on top.

All seems good.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine with all zoos. Be sure to get some pics when the open up!!

Old 05-12-2004, 11:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Another question about frags. How do most attach shrooms and such to LR or a rubble piece? I keep trying super glue gel and the sliminess of the shroom seems to make the glue not hold. They keep coming off. I dry the rock piece off and try a nice big glob of glue. I have had some shrooms and a colt come off.

Here are 2 pics. Frag1 is a colt and misc. He did not say what the other(bigger) one was but I think it is some kind of leather. The colt later fell off the rock that I glued it to and I had to re-do it.

Frag2 is a suposed to be a green finger leather. Does not look green yet.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You can use a rubberband around the shroom, or a piece of netting, I've used the veil material from a bridal store.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Here are a few more pics of recent finds. The zoos and green polyps are from a great LFS. The xenia I got last friday and paid way too much but I have always wanted and pumping xenia. Not sure how it is doing right now.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I tried the super gel mine and same problem, I acutally lost a frag tonight, Gotta find it. I'm gonna try a rubberband..

Tags
drip, frag, frags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com