New frags and dripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I got a shipment of frags today and the shipment ended up taking 2 days instead of 1. They shipped Mon. afternoon and I got them today. I am worried how they are doing and the water quality in the bags. Should I drip them faster than normal or just treat them as usual and see how it turns out?

BTW, is 2 days acceptable for frag survival?

Thanks

Pics when they open up :)

I wouldn't worry too much if the water temp was pretty constant during the 2 days. I would drip them like usual, hurrying the acclimation won't benefit the frags IMO

Two days for frags I would think is okay so long as the temp didn't get super low and you didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, I.E. putrid smell from the bag or super cloudy water. IMO they have made it two days, I would stick to your routine that you know and give them a good safe drip.

Thats about the best info I can give you without knowing what kind of frags you actually have.

BTW, is 2 days acceptable for frag survival?

Depends on the frags, water temperature/quality, outside temperature, and transportation method. SPS, Xenia, and LPS seem to be the hardest to ship. Anything over a day can be trouble with these guys. The softies, shrooms, polyps, etc... seem to ship much easier and shouldn't have a problem surviving 2 days in a shipping box.

I would continue to drip them as normal. You don't want to rush anything at this point as this could weaken the frags even more.

The frags were zoos, shrooms and a few leathers.

No bad smells so far. A couple of the bags have bigger rocks in them and have some debris but I figure that it is from the rock. The temps never got cold but the day temps were in the 80's. They were packed in a styrofoam cooler, triple bagged and newspaper on top.

All seems good.

Thanks

Another question about frags. How do most attach shrooms and such to LR or a rubble piece? I keep trying super glue gel and the sliminess of the shroom seems to make the glue not hold. They keep coming off. I dry the rock piece off and try a nice big glob of glue. I have had some shrooms and a colt come off.

Here are 2 pics. Frag1 is a colt and misc. He did not say what the other(bigger) one was but I think it is some kind of leather. The colt later fell off the rock that I glued it to and I had to re-do it.

Frag2 is a suposed to be a green finger leather. Does not look green yet.

You can use a rubberband around the shroom, or a piece of netting, I've used the veil material from a bridal store.

Here are a few more pics of recent finds. The zoos and green polyps are from a great LFS. The xenia I got last friday and paid way too much but I have always wanted and pumping xenia. Not sure how it is doing right now.

I tried the super gel mine and same problem, I acutally lost a frag tonight, Gotta find it. I'm gonna try a rubberband..

I tried a rubberband last time and getting one just tight enough proved hard. It ended up cutting the shroom in half :(

I have 4 shrooms glued to a rock and it is wrapped in my fish net. I put it in a low flow area so we shall see how it does.

Yeah those shroom are hard to find. My current seems to push everything over to one side si I keep finding them. I actually found a couple when I moved the tank that had been missing for a few weeks!

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom