Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new goby making tank cloudy

I got me a sand siffting goby two days ago and since then he has been going crazy siffting through my sand. This is a good thing and thats why I got him. The problem is that my tank is pretty cloudy due to him stirring up the sand so much. Is this going to be a problem? I see no ill effects so far. The fish and corals seem fine. I'm worried that my tank will always look cloudy and that this will eventually put strain on my fish and corals.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What kinda goby? Tell me about the tank. how old? What kinda sand and how was it prepped (rinsed?). Was it cloudy when you first set it up?

Also, I'm thinking that water changes and vaccuming the soil a few times should've dealt with the loosed dust already.

Tell me more. Tell me more. (That was a movie, right??)

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

They will at the beginning esp if you have alot of dust in there. What size sand is in there?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure what sand it was. It is the fine sand that came in bags with saltwater in it. The tank and sand has been set up for 1-1/2 years. It was cloudy when I set it up. I usually vaccum up the debris on top of the sand when I do water changes which also makes the water cloudy. I didn't want to do that anymore, thats why I got the goby. I'm not sure of the exact name and I can't get a pic because he is under his rock. He is a whitish-gray with orange dots. He does stir up alot of dust when he sifts the sand. So I guess its just a matter of time to let him get rid of the dust. Do you think it will affect my tank at all? Should I get rid of him? I'll try and get some pics tommorrow.
You can see some pics of my 55 gallon in the forum sick fish or coral under the title "sick mushrooms".
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 of them (Diamond Gobies) and they can cause a sand storm in the tank. It is much less now that they have stirred it up pretty well, but when they get going the tank can get a little cloudy, and a fine sprinkling of sand on my LR that I just puff off with a turkey baster.

I rinsed out the filter floss/sponge a few times a day, and it has helped. I think that eventually, there will be no more dust for them to stir up.. I can hope

If you have corals/mushrooms ect.. they may not like the sand...

Fish Art for Wearables
Seepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...l_cleaner.html

Look at these Hagens. I get quite a bit of stuff from my sand when I use these type things. I'm still not understanding how you've got that much dust after a year and a half and regular PWCs with vaccuming. Wow.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have the same cloudy issue. I just picked up a bullet goby yesterday and it looks like San Francisco on a nice foggy day in my tank. Although maybe a little bit better today. He's decided to make a nice little goby pad under one the rocks. So here's a question.....assuming this goby doesn't have a structural engineering degree...... Should I make sure that my rock is touching the bottom glass of the tank so the rock doesn't fall down on him?

thanks
Liz
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thumbs down

I had one for 2 weeks, couldn't take the cloudy water, he went back to the lfs.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

sorry it took so long but here are some pics. there is one pic of the cloudy tank and one before. The difference in person is more than on the photos. I'm not sure how much I can take either, he might be going back. Everyone should think of this before getting a goby. Thanks for all the info guys and gals. Also, can someone identify the coral in the last pic please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9164.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12576

Name:	DSCF9167.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	12577

Name:	DSCF9168.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	12578

Name:	DSCF9148.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	12579
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yup, that's a Diamond Goby. I had one myself...very active and cool fish. Although, I found myself blowing sand off my corals housed on the sand bed at least twice a day (to avoid irritation). On top of that, my goby would constantly dig a hole under my brain coral, which it called "home", even after I kept trying to evict it by filling the hole back up or moving the brain's location.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you if the dust cloud it would kick up ever got better as the days went on. My goby decided to go explore the world outside the realm of the tank one evening. Sadly, I discovered it's dried up remains the following morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyliz View Post
Should I make sure that my rock is touching the bottom glass of the tank so the rock doesn't fall down on him?
Absolutely! Of course, just be sure there aren't any fish or critters under the rock before you push it down into the bed.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, goby, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com