Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Golden Head Sleeper Goby Questions?

I think I may have my first Impulse buy ....

I went to my LFS and saw this fish and absolutely loved it.

I acclimated him properly and put him in the tank. My lonely Clown was quick to investigate and went right over to the Goby to check him out. The Goby seems to fit right in because he went straight to the sand and started digging in ... here's my issue ...

I've now read that he needs a 50 gallon tank minimum and eats the microfauna that lives in the sand bed as well as frozen and prepared food (I saw him eat mysis at the LFS). Well my tank is only 29gallons and while I do have a nice DSB, I don't know if in the long run this tank size will be sufficient for him to live? And a smaller problem that I'm now having is my tank is one HUGE cloud of sand dust. This guy eats so much sand it's incredible!!!!

What do I do? I have a buddy that has a 110gallon that may be willing to take him, but I think he may already have one and I don't know how they do in pairs!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

no one huh?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
If he is munching on food for you and he seems happy with the sub. and rock work you have, I would keep him at least a little while and see how it goes... I think he will be fine!

As far as the dust cloud, maybe it will settle? My friends never had that problem though, so, I'm not really sure about that issue... :P
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I've had these guys a few times.. Well I've kept a pair and x2 singles over 2 years.. All have died of malnutrition..

I had a pair in my 100gal.. Did well, but quickly exhausted the microfauna in the sand..

The other two singles have been in my 75gal.. One again died of malnutrition and the other disappeared after being in the tank for 18 months.

Great fish always sifting but needs a pretty big tank as they are one of the bigger species of gobies out there..

IMO the 29gal is too small..
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m thinking the 29 is too small also. If they sift as much as you say then they will exhaust it soon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby, golden, sleep

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com