New Golden Head Sleeper Goby Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I may have my first Impulse buy ....

I went to my LFS and saw this fish and absolutely loved it.

I acclimated him properly and put him in the tank. My lonely Clown was quick to investigate and went right over to the Goby to check him out. The Goby seems to fit right in because he went straight to the sand and started digging in ... here's my issue ...

I've now read that he needs a 50 gallon tank minimum and eats the microfauna that lives in the sand bed as well as frozen and prepared food (I saw him eat mysis at the LFS). Well my tank is only 29gallons and while I do have a nice DSB, I don't know if in the long run this tank size will be sufficient for him to live? And a smaller problem that I'm now having is my tank is one HUGE cloud of sand dust. This guy eats so much sand it's incredible!!!!

What do I do? I have a buddy that has a 110gallon that may be willing to take him, but I think he may already have one and I don't know how they do in pairs!

If he is munching on food for you and he seems happy with the sub. and rock work you have, I would keep him at least a little while and see how it goes... I think he will be fine! :)

As far as the dust cloud, maybe it will settle? My friends never had that problem though, so, I'm not really sure about that issue... :p

I've had these guys a few times.. Well I've kept a pair and x2 singles over 2 years.. All have died of malnutrition..

I had a pair in my 100gal.. Did well, but quickly exhausted the microfauna in the sand..

The other two singles have been in my 75gal.. One again died of malnutrition and the other disappeared after being in the tank for 18 months.

Great fish always sifting but needs a pretty big tank as they are one of the bigger species of gobies out there..

IMO the 29gal is too small..

I`m thinking the 29 is too small also. If they sift as much as you say then they will exhaust it soon.

Back
Top Bottom