New guy with UGF questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Great forum! I have been looking for something like this for about a week. I just started a new tank that will be my "start up" or "quarantine" tank that I use to watch new animals before I introduce them to my other tank...a 110-gallon reef tank.
I am toying with the idea of an undergravel filter for this tank. I have a design in mind that I got from a fellow mariculturist. Since this is only a 10-gallon tank, I don't see that it would be a bad idea. All that is in the tank right now are a warted anemone and a long tentacled anemone.
Any opinions on using the UGF for this tank?
Thanks in advance...

I wouldnt' use a UGF in a quarantine tank. the idea of a Q-tank is that you can tear it down after each use. if you use a UGF, then you need sand. do you really want to throw away that much sand?

a bare bottom tank, with a hang on filter works well for a q-tank/hospital tank. then you can just assume the new fish have parasites, give them a treatment in the beginning, then watch them for 2-3 weeks before you put them in the main tank.

diverdown69 said:
I have an unlimited supply of sand (I won't say where I am getting it... 8O )
It's not the cost of the sand that's the concern. Depending on the type of malady being treated, the sand may absorb the med making treatment much more difficult to maintain a treatment level needed. It is also much easier to keep a QT clean without the substrate as you can easily syphon out uneaten foods and detritus after feeding to keep water quality optimum. Many types of meds will also destroy the biofilter so setting up an elaborate filtration system is usually futile.

A bare bottom tank (outside bottom painted), HOB or corner sponge filter, heater and short PVC pieces for hiding is about all you will really need. Possibley a powerhead for water movement depending on the filter you use.

I do however suggest you do not introduce any kind of med/treatment prophylactically. There are many types of problems you may encounter and most will require different treatments. If a treatment is started and then it's discovered the problem must be treated alternately, the existing med must be removed prior to beginning the proper treatment. This causes valuable lost time and additional stress on the animal and should be avoided.

Cheers
Steve

I just got a small powerhead and another HOB filter. I already have one UGF running and I am going to try the new powerhead out on it first to see how it performs. I'll post up a diagram of sorts showing how I made the UGF later today if I get a chance to steal away from work early.

Back
Top Bottom