Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actaully, since I am getting in at the ground floor here I can have them run the 220 or 110 lines for an additional cost. This is why I am trying to plan it all out before the framing and sheet rock goes up. Once it's up, it is hard to make additional requests.

Is it possible to run the RO plumbing through the ceiling over into the den where the tank will be? I just want to have an automatic topoff. With a tank this large, I don't want to manually drag water from the bathroom to the tank.

Mike

Old 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely grease some palms if you have to, if you give a sub a 50 he and bring him a nice hot lunch he'll probably be more than happy to do a little extra. As for the r/o lines, you may want to put the r/o under the sink in the bathroom and run the lines yourself prior to drywall. Your contractor probably won't mind and that would solve the problem. You can run the tubing anywhere as long as it's not on any outside walls, freezing issues, so just go up the wall, acroos the ceiling and back down the other wall, easy installation, just do it after rough inspection but before drywall. Oh wait, does it freeze where you are in AZ, I am geographically stupid. Probably should keep it on inside walls just to be safe anyhoo. I say do it after rough inspection because in some areas, not sure about AZ, local codes prohibit plastic/polyethelene tubing inside walls, though I will tell you from my experience it's nothing to worry about. Ask the plumber on site about that one, might be O.K. too.

75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Congratulations on a new house.

I know that you want to put the tank in the den, but what I would do is put the tank where there the a low wall is shown next to the powder room. You could replace the wall with a built in type tank stand.

The Ro unit could be installed into the vanity. The output can run straight through the wall to the tank, unseen, like a coax cable.

This way the tank can be seen from both the LR and family room. Depending on your traffic patterns, you might get to see that tank more often. If I had my tank in a spare room, I think that I would become lazy with tank maintenance.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have to worry about freezing here, which is nice. As I stated, I am no plumber, so would I go to HD or Lowes to get the additional length of tubing for the RO/DI?
I thought about doing a wall unit/tank, but I would need to find someone to do that here as well. I thought about the low wall being an option as well.
Quote:
The output can run straight through the wall to the tank, unseen, like a coax cable.
That's exactly what I want to do. Maybe find a wall plate for it afterwards?
I spend a lot of time in the office, so I though it would be a great place for it. My wife seems to think so.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, home depot or lowes should carry the stuff. They will probably have it by the foot, if not they have those icemaker hook up kits that have a good run of it in there as well. You can also get a cover plate for a cable line and the 1/4" tubing looks pretty clean sticking out of there. Just put the matching drywall ring in before drywall goes up so you can have a nice clean installation.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks PatM. I will start planning. One more question: What type of insulation do you recommend that I use for protecting the tubing? Thanks

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing is really needed on interior walls, the stuff is pretty stand alone. I would just try not to put any unions where you can't get to later once drywall is up. I would also try to wait until the plumber and hvac guys are done in that area so that your not too close to hot water pipes or any hot ductwork, plastic tubing melts pretty easy.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Excellent point. Thanks Pat. I'll see if I can talk to the construction sup and work that in. This way, they will be aware of what I am looking to do so there aren
t any surprises.

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats on the new house Mike!

I'll just throw in one additional comment. If you want this to be an "auto-matic" top off, you'll also need to run at least one electrical wire from the tank (the float switch) TO the RO unit to operate a solonoid to turn it on and off. Keep that in mind.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Billy. You see..this is the reason why I am planning ahead. It's the little things that get left behind.
What kind of electrical wire do I have to run for the solenoid? Thanks

Mike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com