Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New House Plans

Hello all!

I just purchased a new house a couple of weeks ago and need some feedback. I am planning on getting a new tank, possibly the 240G or 300G, not sure yet. Still in the works with the wife. Anyway, I want to set it up in the den where my office will be located at and was wondering about something. I have attached the floor plans so you can actually see where it will go.

Adjacent to the den is a bathroom, in which I would like to setup an RO/DI system that will run through the wall to the tank from the bathroom. I want to do this as it will be a clean way of getting top off water automatically rather than having to manually do it as I do now. Within this plan, there is an option to have RO plumbing done on any sink in the house. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Right now they are getting ready to pour the foundation, but once that is done, I would like to meet with the sup. to let him know what I would like to accomplish during framing. I really want it built in the wall, but I'm not sure if they will allow it since it is a trac home. In addition, I am going to have them run an independent 30 amp electrical run to the breaker box for all the pumps, ph, heaters, etc. with 4 outlets.

Take a look at the diagrams and let me know what a good solution would be to get water to and from the RO/DI system automatically. I was thinking of hanging the RO/DI in the tank stand and running the plumbing from the bathroom to the tank, which the plumbing will actually be hidden in the wall. I ask you this because I am not a plumber, and there are some things that are still puzzling to me regarding RO/DI. Thanks everyone!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	second_floor_new_house.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	525   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom_floor_new_house.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	526  

Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Come on...don't be shy now.

Mike

Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ideas yet? Still brainstorming? 8O
Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey --

Honestly, I don't know much about RO requirements, but I like the idea of building into the wall. Now, not knowing the size of the room, nor how you and your family plan to use the rooms, it would seem sweet to build it into the wall between the den and family room -- of course, that is asking for a lot of spousal approval ;-)

Anyway, if the builder is reluctant to do whatever extra framing you want, you might be able to get him to at least lay in a large conduit-like tube before pouring the cement (say 6" in diameter) with elbows at either end pointing upwards for access. You can then run that flexible plumbing as you see fit (assuming you will have to "renovate" after you move in). Just a thought.

Would you put the sump in the bathroom as well? At that point, it's really no longer a powder room, of course (again, more spousal approval required ;-)

Matt
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like a nice floor plan. Is the basement going to be finished or un, or is it on a slab. The best place to put that r/o would be in the basement, it's so easy to run r/o water lines, they are just 1/4" so you could put the r/o in the basement near a washtub for easy filter maintenance. Then put a garbage can with a float there as well for extra water storage. Then run a line to the tank in the den and presto-instant r/o at the tank. You can also put a float switch in the tank or preferably sump so you can have your top offs done automatically, although I've never trusted those things and have done it manually for years. Topping off encourages you to tinker a little bit and visit with yout tank daily. Just my opinion. Though if your talking 2-300 gallons you probably want auto-top off, thats alot of evap per day. I installed r/o's years back for a living, and I do contracting of kitchens and baths now so any questions about either I'd love to answer. Good luck.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Matt. I would love to have it in the wall, but I don't think the builder would let me do it until I close on the house. The idea of laying conduit in between the framing might be a good idea. I just want the RO/DI system to run from the bathroom to the tank in the Den, and set it up for an automatic top-off. I know it can be done, I just don't have the resources here locally to advise.

I would keep the sump and the RO/DI under the stand because the wife wants a pretty little pedestal sink. Geez. So, it is just a matter of running the plumbing through the wall, which the builder should be able to do..I think.

Mike
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks PatM. Unfortunately, this plan didn't come with a basement. It is a 2-story house..I guess I should have left the other part off to avoid confusion. Since you have experience in the RO field, do you see any problems running the RO lines through the wall into the den? It seems logical to me, but as I said before: I am plumber stupid. Thanks for you feedback.

Mike
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First thing that strikes me, you might want to tell your contractor about the weight of the tank since you are looking at roughly 1 1/2 tons with the 300g in a rather small area. Next keep in mind that you will need plumbing for your waste from the RO filter. The only issue I see with putting it in the tank stand is condensation. My RO has been dripping all winter, so you might want to consider some type of overflow pan, similar to what you would use for a water heater. I am not familiar with a "trac" home, if you mean contract, they should be able to do a change order for anything you want. As for electric, personally I would want two 20amp circuits instead of one 30. HTH.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank will reside on the floor on its own stand. I wish I could put it in the wall, but I would have to wait until I closed and by then the sheet rock would be up already. I am just trying to plan ahead to avoid additional costs. Thanks for the advice on the 20 amp runs. I will do 2 of them for cautionary measures.

Trac home is just a standard plan that has no changes to the structure of the house itself. Thanks Suthern

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try to get your contractor to run 220V to the spot. You'll be saving lots of money running the MH's. I know the builder will ***** about that and say no. But there is always that green grease that will do wonders if you show up at the construction site while the electricians are at work. Just have them run a 20A 220V line from the breaker box to location. They don't have to hook it up yet and just let it hang inside the wall. And if you get the phone # they will gladly comme back once you life there 8)

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com