Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Hydor pump placement

So I just got my 2 1050's in today for my 55 gallon reef. I put them in the back corners with them aimed towards the top middle. The flow seams to be very crazy right now. Is that because of the placement or will it stabilize after awhile. Kinda need to now cuz right now my frogspawn looks a little unhappy

Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I need a little advice here. I left the pumps where I originally aligned them and now the sand along the glass in the front middle is spreading to each side creating two huge sand mounds. What's the best way to readjust the pumps to reduce this effect.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's all trial and error really but if its a standard 55 id try one on the back glass on one side of your tank and the other on your side pane of the other side and also have them at different levels in your tank...there is a lot to think about here though I mean we're talking about fluid dynamics which can be quite overwhelming but what my point is the same pump placement will have different currents depending on your rock structure so its all gotta be customized to your tank no one could really tell you how to set it up

Edit* also some people my think differently but if you have a return line (spray bar) then 2 1050s is gonna put you on the high end for water movement..you could always try replacing one 1050 with 1 or 2 sizes smaller
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had two 750's koralias in my 29g so it can be done. I usually put one on each side glass and aim for the front middle of the tank with a slight upwards angle. Both flows should hit each other and create a really chaotic flow that will leave no dead spots on your sand or rock.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess I'll mess with it some more when I get home. This morning the two mounds of sand seemed to stop growing from the previous night, but I definitely don't care for that look. Also I had to more the frogspawn a bit and both he and the Clarkii weren't too thrilled about that.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, it's trial and error to find the sweet spot with the PH's but I think you'll be fine. Just gotta play around with it a bit.

Tags
hydor, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com