Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 21
new in a month 125 tank build.

Well my wife told me today that she is giving me a budget of 1,000 us dollars to buy what i need for the new tank. I was gonna just stick the money in to my 75 gallon and upgrade that but i called foster and smith today and they can sell me a brandnew marineland 125 gallon tank drilled with overflows for 279.00. It will take 2 to 3 weeks they said to get it in stock though but i cant start buying stuff til the end of january. Can someone suggest what names and models i should go with. heres a list of what im gonna need. i can probably go over the budget by 178.00.

1. tank 125 gallons drilled over flows.
2. sump pump. been looking at the reef octopus diablo dc pumps.
3. sump
4.ro di system
5. power heads.- been looking at ebay at the jebao wp 40. how many i need?
6. refractometer
7. electric level checkers, hannah instrument etc.
8.heater
9. live rock. i want some live rock that is covered with coraline.
10. dry base rock.
11. sand.
12.protein skimmer. which brand and size, and where should i order from?
13. tank top, glass or screen?
14. lights, i want to be able to grow and be able to provide the necessary lighting requirements for anemones and all sorts of corals.
15. plumbing, should i use regular pvc or flex pvc?

If i missed anything , please somebody mention it.
I would like to know the best place to order all this stuff. Thank you for taking your time to read my post and comment. happy holidays.
__________________

__________________
motorzrcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Terrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,577
Dc diablo is good. Perhaps you should look at the speedwave pumps since its also a dc pump. Both are likely the same pump according to a LFS that supplies both pumps. Consider getting waveline dc. Get screen top, no glass top.
__________________

__________________
Kind Regards,
Terrance
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
It's going to be tough if not impossible to get all this stuff for $1000-1200 for a 125 tank. You can save some money by getting almost all base rock and a couple pieces of live rock to seed t with. You will want a 1-2" sandbed. Marinedepot, bulkreefsupply have all the stuff but I'd look on Craigslist too that will make it easier to find things for cheaper.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorzrcook View Post
Well my wife told me today that she is giving me a budget of 1,000 us dollars to buy what i need for the new tank. I was gonna just stick the money in to my 75 gallon and upgrade that but i called foster and smith today and they can sell me a brandnew marineland 125 gallon tank drilled with overflows for 279.00. It will take 2 to 3 weeks they said to get it in stock though but i cant start buying stuff til the end of january. Can someone suggest what names and models i should go with. heres a list of what im gonna need. i can probably go over the budget by 178.00. 1. tank 125 gallons drilled over flows. 2. sump pump. been looking at the reef octopus diablo dc pumps. 3. sump 4.ro di system 5. power heads.- been looking at ebay at the jebao wp 40. how many i need? 6. refractometer 7. electric level checkers, hannah instrument etc. 8.heater 9. live rock. i want some live rock that is covered with coraline. 10. dry base rock. 11. sand. 12.protein skimmer. which brand and size, and where should i order from? 13. tank top, glass or screen? 14. lights, i want to be able to grow and be able to provide the necessary lighting requirements for anemones and all sorts of corals. 15. plumbing, should i use regular pvc or flex pvc? If i missed anything , please somebody mention it. I would like to know the best place to order all this stuff. Thank you for taking your time to read my post and comment. happy holidays.
If your wife is gonna be crazy strict to the budget, I would try to eliminate a few things. Build your own sump with an old tank and some new pieces of glass with silicone. I would also see about waiting on the rodi unit. It will save you prob around 100 bucks. Start with fish only and add coral later. Go with base rock and pool sand, then let them cycle and add a few pieces of coraline covered rock later to allow it to spread if you so desire. I would focus on a good pump, skimmer, and lights with a good heater or heaters as well. Power heads are upgradable and can be very expensive. Do you have a stand? Also is she gonna want a canopy? These are things they think of later that helped my wife to continue to let me add things as time does on. Keep in mind, starting right, there is always birthdays and Christmas that you can upgrade or add things later.
__________________
Jmkb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Hope that helps bro
__________________
Jmkb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Airgoose2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 442
I would disagree on waiting for the RODI unit. I made that mistake and dealt with algae/diatoms for months. Once I got the RODI unit, I haven't had a problem since. Up to you, but I would read a lot and determine what you really need for your setup at the start. Live rock is important, but you can add later if your budget doesn't allow you to purchase it all right away. The items you need depend on what kind of tank you'll have. Reef, FOWL, etc. Making that decision will make a big difference in what you requirements will be. For example, if you go the reef route, RODI unit is a must. As well as powerful lights and circulation pumps, etc. Tough to get all that for under $1000. Craigslist is your friend though, so it may be possible. I got a 50 gallon sump for $50 and 48" VHO T5 four bulb lights for $60. Etc, etc.. Good luck, but definitely research what you want to have in your tank and look at how others setup similar tanks then go from there.
__________________
Airgoose2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Holygral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
Rodi unit has to be your first piece of equipment, with tank, rodi, lights, lr, pumps, sand and ph, you looking at $5000 not 1 grand. I have a 125, that is a real number, tank and stand $7-800, lighting (eBay Chinese ) $400, good lighting $900, RODI $150, lr $500-$1000, sand $150, skimmer $200, power heads ect, $400, corals and fish $800 +
__________________
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Airgoose2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Rodi unit has to be your first piece of equipment, with tank, rodi, lights, lr, pumps, sand and ph, you looking at $5000 not 1 grand. I have a 125, that is a real number, tank and stand $7-800, lighting (eBay Chinese ) $400, good lighting $900, RODI $150, lr $500-$1000, sand $150, skimmer $200, power heads ect, $400, corals and fish $800 +
That being said, you can go cheaper. I got a six stage RODI unit for $60 on Craigslist. Built my own stand. 2x6's, plywood, and stain ($50). Lighting gets expensive for a reef tank. If its not, I bought LED rope lighting for $30. The pic is below. I was just checking if they'd work and not aimed down or setup properly. On and on it goes, but you can go to any extreme you want.. High or low. Start slow, figure out what you want to do, and have at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-565397404.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	210887
__________________
Airgoose2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Holygral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgoose2222 View Post
That being said, you can go cheaper. I got a six stage RODI unit for $60 on Craigslist. Built my own stand. 2x6's, plywood, and stain ($50). Lighting gets expensive for a reef tank. If its not, I bought LED rope lighting for $30. The pic is below. I was just checking if they'd work and not aimed down or setup properly. On and on it goes, but you can go to any extreme you want.. High or low. Start slow, figure out what you want to do, and have at it.

Attachment 210887
A $60 rodi unit will not give you the water quality to keep nems and other corals, rope lighting is designed for your pouch not a reef, sorry but you simply can not run a 125 gal reef on a shoestring.
__________________
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Airgoose2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 442
It's a six stage unit. Cost of it new would be $240. I built a 150 gallon tank with DIY sump(refugium) and DIY protein skimmer. You can search my thread on that. I got a lot of live rock for free. All I had to do was cure it. Like I said, there are many options if you search around and wan to do it that way. Or you can buy expensive top of the line stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2627229275.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	210892
__________________

__________________
Airgoose2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, tan, tank, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.