Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New Italian Aqaurium Law

I have not confirmed this so don't hold me to it but I thought it was interesting.

Italian biologist collected enough data to conclude that curved front aquarium glass distorts the incoming light to the extent that the fish become very stressed. Their data shows this decreases the life span of the fish.

Therefore, curved front aquariums in Italy are now illegal to sell. Can anybody confirm this? My source is a very smart colleague who is known for his integrity.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
well, I just know from my experience that the light comes in from the TOP of the tank, so there is no distortion due to curvature of the glass.......

Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well there I must correct. Glass is glass and light is light. MOST light may come from the top but light does enter through the glass. And yes, curved glass distorts light.

Also, most folks have FW tanks with 30-60 watts of light. In those cases MOST of the light would actually come through the glass and not the hood.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I dont know about MOST people having freshwater tanks with 30-60 watts of light. That is an assumption I am not willing to make. My circumstance is such that the vast majority of light, in all my tanks, comes from the top. The rooms are dark.

Maybe you could clarify what type of study was being done, so people like me do not post erroneous comments.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
Intersting idea but I agree with Hara completely. I doubt that a curvature of glass with prevent light from entering the aquarium. I would most likely think that curvature would act like a magnifying glass and increase the amount of light that would enter the front of an aquarium. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll try and be more clear although, as I said, I've confirmed nothing.

What was posed to me was that the curved glass DISTORTS the light. So, Jasonanatal, that doesn't mean it decreases or increases the light but it distorts it. The statement was that this distortion causes stress in the fish, alters their feeding habits and decreases their lifespans.

Also, Hara, If you look at how many places, catologes, Malls you can buy FW supplies and how many places you can buy SW supplies - even online - it follows that the FW industry moves far more $$$ than the SW industry.

Lastly, it's not what I was looking for but while trying to verify this, I found this interesting article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...07_pets09.html
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Although I have no experience with saltwater at all yet, I too have heard this a few weeks back on TV, not about Italy making them illegal, but about the cruved fronts distoring light and affecting the fishes vision, but you can't always believe what you see on TV
Old 11-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it is false but what do I know...I build networks for a living. Good to see Italy has all their national problems taken care of so they can focus on this. I am full of myself today. I am going to quit while I am ahead.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, Brenden. On the other hand, we argue about reciting the Pledge of Alegiance.

Europe, generally, has far more animal rights laws than we have. I'm not saying I'm for or against these, just stating the facts. In Italy and Germany you can't sell pets in a window because of the temperature and environmental fluctuations associated with light through the glass. Also, you can't clip dogs ears (e.g. Dobermans, Boxers, etc.). Italy actually has a law that states dog owners MUST walk their dogs daily, a certain amount per pound of dog, or face a $600+ fine.

It's a given these laws aren't exactly enforced,but being on the books is an indication of their concern for animals. I thought the goldfish article was equally amusing.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I build networks too , I also heard about the dog walking law, at first I thought it to be a bit strict, but after some thought, there are too many people out there that do not care properly for their pets, I had a neighbor who had a new dog every 6 weeks, enclosed in a little tiny pen, they were not pets, they were food to these people, and the most animal control could do would be to take the dog away, at least this gives them the power to charge these people if they see fit.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com