Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New job !

So i woke up to an email today i just landed a kushy job for siemens renewable energy division!!! Gonna be off unemployment march 25 and plan on alot of $$$$$$ going into my saltwater hobby i have no idea where to put the money exactly, but i dont have a sump, no skimmer, and a crappy marineland circ pump any ideas or thoughts on my investments?! Please share your thoughts if you had a disposal of alot of cash for your tanks

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm pretty new to this and wish I had a bigger disposal of money. That being said, I would def try to do everything right, and error on the side of caution. Especially if its going to be a display tank, I would (personally) invest in a larger tank with, sump, Refugium, skimmer, all the works. In my experience, in many cases, you get what you pay for. Hope it all works out, and congratulations on the job.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, ive put about 800 of my ei into my 40 breeder display, tests show 0s across the board, pristine water for 3 months, i cant get a bigger tank just yet, id have to get rid of my 90 gallon freshwater as the footprint is bad for a reef tank. I want a 75 gallon drilled with a corner overflow.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHO A skimmer was the best thing i did for my tank then lights to support SPS then a sump up grade (20 gl to a 55) An ATO makes life so much easier And a RO/DI saves $$$ maybe a reactor? then a MP 40

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive just bought my ro di unit, and am very happy with it, i have a diy ato. No electricity! Just a simple drip line from a ro di jug adjusted to the calculation of evap daily. I might be thinking about a skimmer, but i will not sump anything unless its drilled. ( simply wont trust an overflow) so id rather just keep my weekly water changes instead of buying a skimmer... Skimmer will crowd my tank, an take away some maitnence that i find useful in order to stay on top of things, like water quality.

If i were to upgrade, a 75 gallon would be my ideal choice, although, i would also do a 120. Then drilling and sumping and skimming will be my only options
Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congratulations bud! Haha ill follow along with your new additions in the near future
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even with a skimmer i still do 20% PWC's bi-weekly My next up grade is a SMR1 reactor trying for a ULNS will see how it goes.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right on, i appreciate the tips! Im going to be purchasing a tds meter, a refractometer, and probably put up an add on kijiji for my big 90 and hopefully get a 120 or a 75 out of it, and eventually turn my current display into a sump. I love the idea of a sumpless reef. I may go custom in tank back wall sump.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com