Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New leather, problem with rock

OK, I picke dup a medium leather today, problem is, is that the rock that the stalk is attatched two is actually two rocks...or one rock but broken in two I think..didnt realize this before. This is causin problems with placement becuase it tends to want to fold up with the leather in the middle (not good huh?) during the day, this isnt much of a problem, the coral is a bit stiffer, but he seems to get a bit softer after the lights are out, and the rocks start to fold together...

Anyways, basically, is there any way to silicone the two pei es of rock back together or how should I proceed from this point? Thanks

Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could try using zip ties to hold the rock together temporarily. For a more permanent solution try using a marine epoxy.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I also agree that a marine epoxy will work. Try some super glue gel would help also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, last quistion for now on this leather and the polyps I picked up, how long should i expect them to take to open up? the leather looked like it was starting to open up the first day, a small amount of the little arm things where comin out, nothing though on the second day. And some of the smaller polyps on the other piece have opened up, but none of the larger, at least not yet.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

They can take up to a week or two before you see any activity as far as polyp extension is concerned. The more you mess with the coral the more likely it will remain agitated. One last thought, depending on the sp., don't be surprised if it sheds before any real polyp extension is observed.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It can take from the same day to a week. Have you checked your water to make sure of good water parameters.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Leathers can be picky. Like the others said, it can be a day to a week or two before it'll pick up. Leathers are weird in that they shed quite often and look near dead sometimes, but it's just normal and nothing to worry about. It will very likely shed before it expands completely.

Best of luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, leather, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com