NEW LED LIGHTS! - Check em.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok Guys,

So I took your advice and upgrated my 39 Gallon/ 2foot wide tank with an LED setup. This replaced the stock standard hood and so far it looks great.

Both the blue and white leds have a dimmer dial and on the lowest setting it is already WAY brighter than its predecessors.

A couple of questions if I may:

a) Will the increase of light increase hair algae growth? Or will the fact that is replacing a half red/ half white bulb that my LFS said I should use way back in the middle of last year (before I knew much about lighting) mean hair algae growth with decrease. I am about to start using RO water aswell.

b) I've attached a photo of what the corals look like with just the Blue light (and not even at full power) Parts of the coral are neon fluro! is this normal? the tips of my frogspawn/ heads of my green star polyph and mushroom coral are glowing bright green.

I am keeping the output low for a week or two so that the coral can adjust.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help them adjust?

Cheers once again,

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 163
I have the same ones. You'll love them. I have a video review on my YouTube account in my sig. You should start them out pretty low (20%)and slowly bring it up over the course of two weeks. They have high par so it is intense lighting. It goes right through water. You don't want photo inhibition from shocking the corals with so much more light.

Thankyou very much for the replies.

So I take it all is well with the neon colors? I will deffinitley keep the power down for a few weeks.

I guess I will just keep a close eye on the algae issue.

Thankyou again.

My neon colors are crazy with the royal blues. They haven't caused any algae problems for me, the white lights are a higher color temp, you shouldn't see much of an increase, if at all.

If you havent been using ro/di til now, there is a chance of hair algae increase. My radions and needing to replace my ro/di filters fed am awful bloom im still fighting. Seems uncommon though. If it starts to happen just scrub at it and do water changes right after w/ distilled to get as much out if the water column as you can.

Things look good though. What is the orange guy up top? Looks like a sun coral? If it is, get him into some shade asap. They arent photosynthetic.

x1 on the sun coral...if it's not a sun coral what is it? I'd love to have a coral that looks like that in my tank.

yeah its a sun coral :) I knew they didnt need the light but I read it didnt really affect them. Is this not the case? It's just a convenient spot to feed him is all. He hide dayuring the day and comes out just after the white light goes out. I usually feed him then and he blooms all night.

Thanks for the advice. I bought some RO water yesterday and am mixing the salt mixture now. Apart from not having any phosphates and nitrates, what else are the benifits of RO water? becuase I tested my tap water as well as the RO water I bought and both read 0.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom