New LED Lights comparable to MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Besides the astronomical price, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the new LED lights that are available-how effective they are? I can see them paying off in the long run with less bulb changes, less electricity, less headaches from MH lights heating the water, etc.

Does anyone actually have one of these yet?

Do you have a link that compares the PAR/intensity of LED's and MH? It's hard to believe they could provide the same PAR.? FWIW a writer for a popular hobby magazine uses them to keep moderate light coral under, I have no direct experience w/ them though.

Those lights pop up from time to time. Interesting idea if they were more const effective. I guess they could be cost effective, since the LEDs would outlast the lighting we use. I think they can run for something like 10 years. It's been a while since that topic has come up so I am a little fuzzy on the details.

Advanced Aquarist has a good review including PAR results.

Considering that the LED unit emits very little heat, cheaper to run, no UV output, has dimming capability being able to be adjusted from 6.5K to 22K, and the lifespan of the bulbs it's worth the money in the long run.

The prices are dropping slightly but it will still be many years before/if they replace conventional lighting and are mass produced.

The one that I've heard people talking about is the Solaris from PFO Lighting. I've never seen one in person, but here is the link:
http://www.solarisled.com/

I've heard really good things about PFO, but I haven't heard anything related to this particular product. I don't know anyone personally that could afford one! :lol: The reviews I've heard are about the company's ballasts.... supposedly they are really top-notch.

The price of the PFO fixtures alone are enough to turn me off!

I saw the Polaris LED fixture at MACNA last year. Very cool stuff, looks just like MH does in regards to the intensity and did show glitter lines. The unit was very compact, quiet, and cool (in regards to temp...and visual looks). From the tests done, it seems the LED systems do indeed put off more PAR and PUR than a comparable MH fixture, but still... that price tag...

24" set up is $1308 :moon:
I wonder how long until they are more affordable? From what DT said and the info in the link Tecwzrd supplied they look and sound great otherwise. I'm surprised to see they do better than MH- 20 k at least.

My lfs has those lights on one of their tanks that contain medium to high light species. But I believe that they do not produce the same light intensity as mh, just from talking to the guys at the store who use them. The tanks that they have them on do not contain acrpora, monitpora, or any others corals that require strong lighting. I have seen clams under LED lights, but im not really sure if they are suitable. The dimming affect is really cool though. I think that they can be programmed to emit different spectrums and light intensity throughout the course of the day, simulating the change of sunlight as the dayt passes. But, of course unless you win the lottery, IMO MH is more practical and most likely just as or more effective than the LED's......

I was wondering if they could support acros, etc under them. The ad says you can program them to simulate all type of lighting conditions, inlcuding cloud cover. That is really neat. LED's are slowly coming down in price across the board. It will take time though. For the 48" fixture, it will set you back $2300. Thats the cheapest I have seen it. I would like to see if it can support my acros, montis, etc. Then maybe I would bite the bullet and charge it on the plastic, LOL. I really believe that not needing a chiller (for arguments sake), the lower cost of electricty and the 100,000 hour life of the LED's would pay for themselves in just a couple years. Not to mention those expensive bulbs we have to buy every year...

I was wondering if they could support acros, etc under them
"PAR values fall off dramatically in the corners of the aquarium (data not shown). Placement of corals within the aquarium should therefore not be haphazard but done instead with forethought and planning. Branching corals (Acropora spp., among others) and Tridacna clams should be placed directly below the luminaire, while shade-loving animals such as Discosoma and others will probably do well outside the direct light beam."
From advancedaquarist.com
The LED's tested produced 89.4% of the PAR a 250w 20 k MH produced, but more of it was PUR(photosynthetically useable radiation). If you spring for one, you have to take pics and let everyone know what you think :lol:

Tecwzrd has a link in his post- It can be hard to see, depending on which style your using to view this site. Here it is-
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2

My LFS has one on a 90g and they aren't too impressed with it. It seems to serve it purpose, but not as well as halides. I think good ones that are as effective as halides r still a few years off. I must say all the features and lighting conditions are pretty cool though.

Any new info

Hey all,

Its been a long time since I have been here. I was wondering if there is any new info on the PFO lighting. I am seriosly considering one.

I have come to the realization that I will never be able to own my dream 72" tank, so I think I am going to start up a 60g cube, 24"x24". i was going to go with a 250w MH set up, but looking at the 24" PFO, it may be a better choice.

Cost $1289(LED) vs $569 for MH. Thats already half the price, add in new $90 bulbs every year and electriciy, yeah, it should pay itself off in a couple of years.

Does anyone know if a LFS in So Cali that has one in use?

Thanks

John

I look for prices to start dropping. We won't be seeing hundreds of dollars off but with more competition we'll see a little.

This technology looks very promising. By no means can I even afford to a light a 10g with one but by the time I can do a large tank I hope the prices have dropped and quality goes up.

Could using these lights eliminate the need for a chiller? Since heat is driven up and it's little heat at that, I'd think the tank temperatures would remain a lot lower. If so, there is another reason to look into these. No chiller = more money, less hassle.

I wonder when someone is going to lend Sanjay Joshi a LED Unit for some spectral analysis. That is what would be totally awesome.

I haven't heard anything new on the LED units either, though I agree it all looks promising.

Where I work we have the Solaris LED light setup over a 90. It looks interesting, but I think the doofy guys up front who do the show tanks have it adjusted to the wrong light spectrum, as when they used it to replace the MH they had on before, it grew massive hair algae :lol: We have acros under it, Crocea clams, monti cap and digi, been on there at least a month and a half.. they look fine.. just large clumps of hair algae blanketing the bottom. *Snicker* Looks really promising though..

The Big Als here in Florida has one set up on one of their tanks and it is truly amazing. Only problem is that it is about 3K!

U have been doing some research online at other forums and there has been pretty good feedback about this lighting.

One thing that I have notice is that the tanks appears to eb very blue under the 20K LED. It is hard to tell while looking at photos over the net on a computer screen.

Anyways, if I delve into this route (which really won't be until the end of the year), I will post a build up thread of the system.

John

Back
Top Bottom