Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New LED Lights comparable to MH

Besides the astronomical price, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the new LED lights that are available-how effective they are? I can see them paying off in the long run with less bulb changes, less electricity, less headaches from MH lights heating the water, etc.

Does anyone actually have one of these yet?

Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a link that compares the PAR/intensity of LED's and MH? It's hard to believe they could provide the same PAR.? FWIW a writer for a popular hobby magazine uses them to keep moderate light coral under, I have no direct experience w/ them though.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Those lights pop up from time to time. Interesting idea if they were more const effective. I guess they could be cost effective, since the LEDs would outlast the lighting we use. I think they can run for something like 10 years. It's been a while since that topic has come up so I am a little fuzzy on the details.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Advanced Aquarist has a good review including PAR results.

Considering that the LED unit emits very little heat, cheaper to run, no UV output, has dimming capability being able to be adjusted from 6.5K to 22K, and the lifespan of the bulbs it's worth the money in the long run.

The prices are dropping slightly but it will still be many years before/if they replace conventional lighting and are mass produced.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The one that I've heard people talking about is the Solaris from PFO Lighting. I've never seen one in person, but here is the link:
http://www.solarisled.com/

I've heard really good things about PFO, but I haven't heard anything related to this particular product. I don't know anyone personally that could afford one! The reviews I've heard are about the company's ballasts.... supposedly they are really top-notch.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The price of the PFO fixtures alone are enough to turn me off!

I saw the Polaris LED fixture at MACNA last year. Very cool stuff, looks just like MH does in regards to the intensity and did show glitter lines. The unit was very compact, quiet, and cool (in regards to temp...and visual looks). From the tests done, it seems the LED systems do indeed put off more PAR and PUR than a comparable MH fixture, but still... that price tag...

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

24" set up is $1308
I wonder how long until they are more affordable? From what DT said and the info in the link Tecwzrd supplied they look and sound great otherwise. I'm surprised to see they do better than MH- 20 k at least.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lfs has those lights on one of their tanks that contain medium to high light species. But I believe that they do not produce the same light intensity as mh, just from talking to the guys at the store who use them. The tanks that they have them on do not contain acrpora, monitpora, or any others corals that require strong lighting. I have seen clams under LED lights, but im not really sure if they are suitable. The dimming affect is really cool though. I think that they can be programmed to emit different spectrums and light intensity throughout the course of the day, simulating the change of sunlight as the dayt passes. But, of course unless you win the lottery, IMO MH is more practical and most likely just as or more effective than the LED's......
Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was wondering if they could support acros, etc under them. The ad says you can program them to simulate all type of lighting conditions, inlcuding cloud cover. That is really neat. LED's are slowly coming down in price across the board. It will take time though. For the 48" fixture, it will set you back $2300. Thats the cheapest I have seen it. I would like to see if it can support my acros, montis, etc. Then maybe I would bite the bullet and charge it on the plastic, LOL. I really believe that not needing a chiller (for arguments sake), the lower cost of electricty and the 100,000 hour life of the LED's would pay for themselves in just a couple years. Not to mention those expensive bulbs we have to buy every year...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was wondering if they could support acros, etc under them
"PAR values fall off dramatically in the corners of the aquarium (data not shown). Placement of corals within the aquarium should therefore not be haphazard but done instead with forethought and planning. Branching corals (Acropora spp., among others) and Tridacna clams should be placed directly below the luminaire, while shade-loving animals such as Discosoma and others will probably do well outside the direct light beam."
From advancedaquarist.com
The LED's tested produced 89.4% of the PAR a 250w 20 k MH produced, but more of it was PUR(photosynthetically useable radiation). If you spring for one, you have to take pics and let everyone know what you think

Tecwzrd has a link in his post- It can be hard to see, depending on which style your using to view this site. Here it is-
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2

Tags
led, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com