New LFS for me, now I am addicted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
A while ago, WhiteCloud told me about a LFS in Maine called AquaCorals. They do mostly internet business apparently, since they are only open 3 days a week for a few hours each day, check out the website here:

www.aquacorals.com

Anyway, this place is about 45 minutes to an hour from my house so I was not too excited about making the drive when there are 3 marine stores close to where I work. Then I saw on the website that they had Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt in stock AND Cleaner Shrimp in stock. I have been trying to get a Cleaner Shrimp locally for weeks with no luck at all. I have been wanting to try to Pro Reef for a while too, and this was the only place I can find that had it.

So, I make the trip on a Saturday, found the place and went in. First thing I notice is that they have a very large number of corals (for Maine), well organized and priced fairly. The equipment prices are much cheaper than every other store around here as well. The lady working there was super nice to me and we chatted a bit. I picked up a box of Pro Reef salt, a nice Cleaner shrimp, and a Banded Serpent Star. The Star was only $10 compared to $20 at other places in the area. I spent about $60.

Last weekend, my wife wanted to go check the place out, so we went up together and picked up my first group of Corals, a Maxi Jet 600 (cheap!), and a new batch of Nasarrius Snails (mine are getting eaten by Hermits). My wife likes the place, and the lady working there. Spent another $100 :)

Yesterday I get an email, this week AquaCorals is having a half price live rock sale! HALF PRICE! That makes the rock just $2.50 a pound for Shelf and just $4 a pound for Fiji. Tonight after work I am going to drive up there again, spend more money, and go home happy...

Once tax returns come in, I am going to go pick out another batch of Corals too 0X

Sounds like a good store. I is so important to have a LFS you can trust (even if you have to drive a bit) and one that you can develope a relationship with.

I hate walking into a LFS and seeing a powerhead (or anything else) for $40 when I know I can buy it online for less than $20. So far this is the only place I have found that has "online prices" on equipment. Even with the extra driving, I save money. It is also nice to go to a place where the person actually remembers my name :p

I am glad I pointed you in that direction up north!

Penny definately seems to know her stuff. She isn't in the business to sell hardware and dry goods....she is in it for the software (corals and livestock). So she doesn't mark up her hardware and dry goods much. She had good prices on aquariums/stands etc. too.

She is the one who convinced me to do DSB and get a larger tanks than my orginal 30 gallon plan. She also is big on sump use and and the use of overflows vs. drilled tanks. I don't agree with her on the Overflow vs. Drilled Tank..and I could not accommodate a sump with my current tank.

I haven't been up to see her in about 4-5 months..but now that my tank is fully cycled...I think I may need to take a trip. It sounds like she is loaded with livestock.

Also...SWAM (Salt Water Addicts of Maine) meetings are often held up near the Aquacorals area. May be good to check out a meeting and visit Aquacoral all in the same saturday. I will give you a PM over the weekend about the SWAM group a meetings if you are interested.

In the springtime she also has baby ducks for sale....I have a bad feeling that I will be coming home with baby ducks along with livestock and corals the next time I visit Aquacorals with my family in the spring.

WC

P.S Did you see any Peppermint Shrimp up there?....I am having a HUGE aiptasia problem...and I have bought the only 5 I could find down south

I did not see any Peppermints while I was up there. Hopefully your five will get down to business :) Penny tried getting me to start working on a DSB, however I am really not interested in that until I get a larger tank in 8 months or so.

While there, I picked up just under 9 pounds of cured Fiji for $32. I got 3 piece total, when I got home, I realized I really miffed up and got pieces that are too big for my tank :( It is hard to size live rock coming out of a 180g tank and picture it going into a 15g tank :( I made it all fit and look pretty good though, without moving any of my new corals. Now I just have some places on the side glass that I will not be able to reach with the Mag Float.

Back
Top Bottom