New light!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I was searching on crags list and found a guy that is selling his lights. It is a 48" USA nova extreme 8x 54watt t5 fixture with 4x moon light. He was using it on his 125gal tank and I plan on using it on my 60 gal( 48"x24"deep x12" wide) the price....$100!! Each bulb is individually reflected. Will this fixture be enough for me to house any type of coral? Also does anybody know a good site to purchase the legs from? He does not have the legs for it.

That fixture will be more than ebough I think. Its what i would want over a 48" tank. :-D Excellent deal too!

I haven't seen the legs on any sites, I have found the legs for the 72" nova extreme pro on ebay so you might wanna check there

Ok. Yeah I have bought some live rock from him in the past. He is taking down his tank. I remember getting 25 lbs of rock for about $30.and the light I could just not turn down. I was going to go with led... But not any more.

geese i'f remove 2 bulbs. you'll melt any corals other then SPS and clams.

as well i think an 8 lamp fixture is two wide to fit on 12" wide tank

Well one of the things is out making it only a 6 bulb fixture. A did ask for a measurement for dimension and it is 48" long and 12 in wide. This is why I need the legs to get it out of the way of the overflow and the return line. The legs should position the light a about 5pm above the tank

well usually an 8 lamp fixture is 20-24" wide so its probably almost double the width of your tank.

what kind of corals do you want to house anyways?

Yeah. This one is the old version of the nova extreme. It's the parabolic type fixture. As far as corals go.. I plan on being able to have lots of soft corals. Xenia, mushrooms, green star polyps leather, at the bottom of the tank then at the top have some hard corals. Idk what kind yet.
Here is a link to the light. It says it's 14" in width.... But that's ok having 1 in on the front and back of the tank I can live with.
http://www.suburbanreef.com/48-nova-extreme-8x54w-t-5-w-4-lunar.html

I'm really excited to pick it up tomorrow. He is giving me all the bulbs and two clip on fans. And an additional 2 new bulbs all for $100. It's amazing what you can find on crags list. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it

I would rather have LEDs, but that is too good to pass up. Can you make the legs? Or hang the fixture from above? If you hang it for a short time, you can raise it up and then lower it over a period of a week. That much light too soon could damage some coral.

Well my tank just finished cycling so I don't have any corals yet all I have is two clownfish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom