Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now that brings up another question, I have run my 2 lamp T5HO fixture for 12 hours a day with no real algae problem. So far, I have had no real increase using the same period with my 6 lamp that I put up on Sat. As long as my algae stays in check I should be fine right?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
Glad I chimed in. Now I get to learn from some people who actually know what they are talking about.

Tank looks great Greg.
Hope that wasn't directed at me.I was giving info in answer to the question.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
Hope that wasn't directed at me.I was giving info in answer to the question.
Actually it was directed it at all three of you. You had some very good info. Better than I have seen in a lot of posts about LED. I had thought about doing a DIY project but had no luck finding and decent info. Seeing your post makes me realize that the price is coming down quicker than I expected. The other post showed me that what most people think is required really isn't. Hope I didn't offend you in anyway because I most certainly didn't want to do so.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

Actually it was directed it at all three of you. You had some very good info. Better than I have seen in a lot of posts about LED. I had thought about doing a DIY project but had no luck finding and decent info. Seeing your post makes me realize that the price is coming down quicker than I expected. The other post showed me that what most people think is required really isn't. Hope I didn't offend you in anyway because I most certainly didn't want to do so.
Sorry,my bad.I guess my sensitive side is acting up today.LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK well if I want to do a 48 inch DIY led light what do u recommend for the amount of led Watts and how many should I do what brand is best I wads looking at the Cree leds. And to grow sps around how much will it cost to build
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

In my opinion, you can roughly equate LEDs with MH. I believe a 2:1 ratio works, that means a 250 watt MH is roughly the equivalent of a 130 watt LED array. Some have suggested the ratio favors LED even more.

Again, in my opinion the factors that matter are total wattage and color mixture of the LEDs, more than the individual power of each LED.
Companies make all sorts of adjustments to their emitters, so wattage isn't the total story sometimes as the lensing can make a difference in how deep the PAR penetrates. So there is some factors there that could control how much light penetrates to the bottom, but at the cost of how many fixtures you need to cover the breadth of your tank.

Also, the electronics and emitters can be glued into the array, which isn't a good idea. They must also not be wired in a way that if one emitter blows the whole panel doesn't go out like a cheap string of Christmas lights.

Do your research on the Internet. I have heard good, but mostly bad reviews on the Cree emitters. Having a fixture with 3-7 watt emitters has the advantage of a smaller footprint, but not as small as you might think as the additional heat generated by these powerful emitters makes a lot of heat the heat sink has to conduct away. So they spread them out more. They don't project hardly any heat at all into the water (huge advantage) but they are like a transistor, they can get locally very hot and burn out prematurely. Most fixtures have a computer fan to vent heat, or very large cooling fins and heavy metal cases to dump heat.

As I stated earlier, I use larger panels with loads of emitters. They are a factor of half the cost of the higher output emitters and frankly, watts are watts and PAR is PAR. I would like to see a study where the high output LEDs were compared to equal wattage of smaller LEDs and their affect on SPS coral propagation. I will be looking into this for myself soon. As I stated, I am very satisfied with the larger panels of hundreds of 1 or 2 watt LEDs over the last 18 months. I have to cut my soft coral back weekly. LPS grows fine and my acropora's and even elkhorn is growing fine.

2/3 should be 10,000k white and the rest should be blue in any event.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well thank u I am going to have to do a bunch of research on the topic and find the best way to build a solid led fixture
Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greg, do you have a build thread? Would love to look through it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that is something I would love to read as well if you do will you please post the link
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I didn't build mine, I bought them on the Internet after a lot of research. My original supplier has changed names, but the guy below sells panels that look similar if not identical.

http://aquatopled.com/

I like his fixtures and am getting ready to buy a 300 watt unit to try out.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com