Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

new light

OK I am just wondering if anyone has any info on the new ecotech led light I am really wanting to go get them but can't find any info on them as in how big of a tank one will work on.

Will one be enough for a 55 or will I need to get 2 of them.

I hope one will work just to save the strain on the pocket book because 1500 bucks is a lot of money

If anyone has any info let me know thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mango
OK I am just wondering if anyone has any info on the new ecotech led light I am really wanting to go get them but can't find any info on them as in how big of a tank one will work on.

Will one be enough for a 55 or will I need to get 2 of them.

I hope one will work just to save the strain on the pocket book because 1500 bucks is a lot of money

If anyone has any info let me know thanks
A few weeks ago I talked to someone at Ecotech regarding led fixture for 48 inch tank.He told that probably around the end of this month,they were bringing out a 48" led fixture with three watt LEDs.He said he thought they would be in the $198.00 range.Not sure how many strips would be needed.
Go to their website get their number and give them a call.They may have more info now.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

2 ft is the effective depth of 3 watt LEDs .. About 1 ft for 1 watt. If your growin coral u need the 3 watt .. I've done ALOT of research for my own tank ... I hope that helps ya
Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #4

So only one is needed
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkloski View Post
2 ft is the effective depth of 3 watt LEDs .. About 1 ft for 1 watt. If your growin coral u need the 3 watt .. I've done ALOT of research for my own tank ... I hope that helps ya
So you are saying that holds up for even high light demand corals? I am curious because I have seen some many posts saying "Don't use anything but 7 watt LED".
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

I'm in cahoots with the engineers at marineland/ tetra and all test prove 3 watt will sustain and grow coral at 2 ft.. Yes compared to the sun it's just a lit match but it works...
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have 390 1-watt LEDs on my 250 gallon reef. 2/3 are white, the rest are blue. The lights hang 12" off the surface and the water is 30" deep. These are not expensive LEDs, but over the past few years I have seen explosive growth of my soft corals even on the sand floor, as well as excellent growth of my SPS set up higher. I do not think you need 7 watt LEDs to grow coral. My experience has been completely different. My background was in lasers and other solid state light emitting devices, so I have some knowledge of how these work. The lens used on the LED controls the illumination field, a bigger effect than overall power. I pay $300 per 130 watt panels. So I have $900 in lighting (3 panels) for a 250 gallon, that replaces 750 watts of MH. Reef is 20 years old.

I have 3 watt LEDs on my algae scrubber. Only difference is the fixture is a bit smaller. I can certainly grow coral deeper than 1' as previously stated with the 1 watt array.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Zoas under 1 watt LEDs at 24" of water depth. Note the mushrooms are smaller as result of light intensity even at this depth.

Wide shot of 250 gallon with 1 watt LEDs from last year. Most everything is 50% larger than when this shot was taken.

I am getting ready to test a new fixture with 7 watt LEDs on my frag tank, will post what I find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2168452175.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	55190   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3716252112.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	55191  

Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad I chimed in. Now I get to learn from some people who actually know what they are talking about.

Tank looks great Greg.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

One last thing of note, I run my lights up to 10 hours a day. With a more powerful system, I might be able to cut that back, but don't really want my tank dark much of the day, so I go for an extended lights on time. Have run them as much as 12 hours a day, but too much algae.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com