new light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK I am just wondering if anyone has any info on the new ecotech led light I am really wanting to go get them but can't find any info on them as in how big of a tank one will work on.

Will one be enough for a 55 or will I need to get 2 of them.

I hope one will work just to save the strain on the pocket book because 1500 bucks is a lot of money

If anyone has any info let me know thanks

rob_mango said:
OK I am just wondering if anyone has any info on the new ecotech led light I am really wanting to go get them but can't find any info on them as in how big of a tank one will work on.

Will one be enough for a 55 or will I need to get 2 of them.

I hope one will work just to save the strain on the pocket book because 1500 bucks is a lot of money

If anyone has any info let me know thanks

A few weeks ago I talked to someone at Ecotech regarding led fixture for 48 inch tank.He told that probably around the end of this month,they were bringing out a 48" led fixture with three watt LEDs.He said he thought they would be in the $198.00 range.Not sure how many strips would be needed.
Go to their website get their number and give them a call.They may have more info now.

2 ft is the effective depth of 3 watt LEDs .. About 1 ft for 1 watt. If your growin coral u need the 3 watt .. I've done ALOT of research for my own tank ... I hope that helps ya

2 ft is the effective depth of 3 watt LEDs .. About 1 ft for 1 watt. If your growin coral u need the 3 watt .. I've done ALOT of research for my own tank ... I hope that helps ya

So you are saying that holds up for even high light demand corals? I am curious because I have seen some many posts saying "Don't use anything but 7 watt LED".

I'm in cahoots with the engineers at marineland/ tetra and all test prove 3 watt will sustain and grow coral at 2 ft.. Yes compared to the sun it's just a lit match but it works...

I have 390 1-watt LEDs on my 250 gallon reef. 2/3 are white, the rest are blue. The lights hang 12" off the surface and the water is 30" deep. These are not expensive LEDs, but over the past few years I have seen explosive growth of my soft corals even on the sand floor, as well as excellent growth of my SPS set up higher. I do not think you need 7 watt LEDs to grow coral. My experience has been completely different. My background was in lasers and other solid state light emitting devices, so I have some knowledge of how these work. The lens used on the LED controls the illumination field, a bigger effect than overall power. I pay $300 per 130 watt panels. So I have $900 in lighting (3 panels) for a 250 gallon, that replaces 750 watts of MH. Reef is 20 years old.

I have 3 watt LEDs on my algae scrubber. Only difference is the fixture is a bit smaller. I can certainly grow coral deeper than 1' as previously stated with the 1 watt array.

Zoas under 1 watt LEDs at 24" of water depth. Note the mushrooms are smaller as result of light intensity even at this depth.

Wide shot of 250 gallon with 1 watt LEDs from last year. Most everything is 50% larger than when this shot was taken.

I am getting ready to test a new fixture with 7 watt LEDs on my frag tank, will post what I find.

Attachments

• image-2168452175.jpg
    image-2168452175.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3716252112.jpg
    image-3716252112.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 115
Glad I chimed in. Now I get to learn from some people who actually know what they are talking about. :)

Tank looks great Greg.

One last thing of note, I run my lights up to 10 hours a day. With a more powerful system, I might be able to cut that back, but don't really want my tank dark much of the day, so I go for an extended lights on time. Have run them as much as 12 hours a day, but too much algae.

Now that brings up another question, I have run my 2 lamp T5HO fixture for 12 hours a day with no real algae problem. So far, I have had no real increase using the same period with my 6 lamp that I put up on Sat. As long as my algae stays in check I should be fine right?

rdnelson99 said:
Glad I chimed in. Now I get to learn from some people who actually know what they are talking about. :)

Tank looks great Greg.

Hope that wasn't directed at me.I was giving info in answer to the question.

Hope that wasn't directed at me.I was giving info in answer to the question.

Actually it was directed it at all three of you. You had some very good info. Better than I have seen in a lot of posts about LED. I had thought about doing a DIY project but had no luck finding and decent info. Seeing your post makes me realize that the price is coming down quicker than I expected. The other post showed me that what most people think is required really isn't. Hope I didn't offend you in anyway because I most certainly didn't want to do so.

rdnelson99 said:
Actually it was directed it at all three of you. You had some very good info. Better than I have seen in a lot of posts about LED. I had thought about doing a DIY project but had no luck finding and decent info. Seeing your post makes me realize that the price is coming down quicker than I expected. The other post showed me that what most people think is required really isn't. Hope I didn't offend you in anyway because I most certainly didn't want to do so.

Sorry,my bad.I guess my sensitive side is acting up today.LOL

OK well if I want to do a 48 inch DIY led light what do u recommend for the amount of led Watts and how many should I do what brand is best I wads looking at the Cree leds. And to grow sps around how much will it cost to build

In my opinion, you can roughly equate LEDs with MH. I believe a 2:1 ratio works, that means a 250 watt MH is roughly the equivalent of a 130 watt LED array. Some have suggested the ratio favors LED even more.

Again, in my opinion the factors that matter are total wattage and color mixture of the LEDs, more than the individual power of each LED.
Companies make all sorts of adjustments to their emitters, so wattage isn't the total story sometimes as the lensing can make a difference in how deep the PAR penetrates. So there is some factors there that could control how much light penetrates to the bottom, but at the cost of how many fixtures you need to cover the breadth of your tank.

Also, the electronics and emitters can be glued into the array, which isn't a good idea. They must also not be wired in a way that if one emitter blows the whole panel doesn't go out like a cheap string of Christmas lights.

Do your research on the Internet. I have heard good, but mostly bad reviews on the Cree emitters. Having a fixture with 3-7 watt emitters has the advantage of a smaller footprint, but not as small as you might think as the additional heat generated by these powerful emitters makes a lot of heat the heat sink has to conduct away. So they spread them out more. They don't project hardly any heat at all into the water (huge advantage) but they are like a transistor, they can get locally very hot and burn out prematurely. Most fixtures have a computer fan to vent heat, or very large cooling fins and heavy metal cases to dump heat.

As I stated earlier, I use larger panels with loads of emitters. They are a factor of half the cost of the higher output emitters and frankly, watts are watts and PAR is PAR. I would like to see a study where the high output LEDs were compared to equal wattage of smaller LEDs and their affect on SPS coral propagation. I will be looking into this for myself soon. As I stated, I am very satisfied with the larger panels of hundreds of 1 or 2 watt LEDs over the last 18 months. I have to cut my soft coral back weekly. LPS grows fine and my acropora's and even elkhorn is growing fine.

2/3 should be 10,000k white and the rest should be blue in any event.

Well thank u I am going to have to do a bunch of research on the topic and find the best way to build a solid led fixture

I didn't build mine, I bought them on the Internet after a lot of research. My original supplier has changed names, but the guy below sells panels that look similar if not identical.

http://aquatopled.com/

I like his fixtures and am getting ready to buy a 300 watt unit to try out.

Back
Top Bottom