New lighting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleepy1711

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right now I have 4 x 96 PC in my sixty gallons and i'm considering getting metal halides for my tank. I was looking at a hamilton hood, 2 250 10k with 2 55pc or 2 96 pcs to supplement the spectrum. I was wondering if that too much for a 60 gallon. BTw the tank is about 36 inch deep. but i figured it out and it would be roughly 10 watts per gallon.

Go with the 2x250 watts, it won't be too much light for 36" deep. With that lighting, you would have more options in what you want to keep. 55 watt PC 's would probably be enough, but 2x96 watts wouldn't hurt either :mrgreen:

I would go with 400W for 36" deep. Especially once you figure that hood will be hanging another 8 - 12 above your water. I don't know if 250 are going to punch all the way down there. I just got a dual 400W hamilton with 2X96W PCs from Darin over at captivereefs.com. I was nervous about photo acclimation, but my tank is doing really well. I have a 105G tank thats 24" from waterline to top of DSB, but the fixture hangs another 8" above the tank. So I am about 32" total and the 400 watters are really making a difference. Best of luck.

36'' deep? that is three feet deep. I have a 65 gallon and it is 36 inches wide. and only 2 feet deep. I have one 250w MH on it and it is more than enough. I think if i had two there would then be a heat issue.

my mistake its only 18 inches deep and i was gonna place the hood on right on top of the tank. Which would probably only be about 5 inches from the water surface, but i plan to acclimate it from about 18inches, you guys think that would be okay?? and i already ordered the 2 250 with 2 55 super blue actinic from hamilton. What do u guys think?? btw I have a chiller so heat shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom