New lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightryder1405

Aquarium Advice Regular
So heres a stupid question. I just upgraded my light from a yr old aqueon flouresant light to a coralife dual t5 with the 10k and the actinic bulbs. Turned it on and my fish are going crazy. Dippin in and out of the rocks, dashing from one end of the tank to the other. This normal considering this light is drastically brighter?

So heres a stupid question. I just upgraded my light from a yr old aqueon flouresant light to a coralife dual t5 with the 10k and the actinic bulbs. Turned it on and my fish are going crazy. Dippin in and out of the rocks, dashing from one end of the tank to the other. This normal considering this light is drastically brighter?

They just need to adjust. It should stop after a few days.

It shouldn't. Mine did the same thing when I pulled the typical ones off a 55 and added 4 t5s across the entire tank. They went from about 25 watts to about 254 watts, as I wanted corals like you do. They should all be fine in a couple few days. Are your new lights on timers?

No. I usually turn them on around 10ish and turn them off bout 9ish. Each bulb is 54watts i believe. Is that good enough for most corals or should i eventually get 2 more t5's?

Yea thats wat i figured. Wat would u suggest that would be safe with the 2?

Yea thats wat i figured. Wat would u suggest that would be safe with the 2?

I have a 2 bulb HO T5 on my 29 gallon and have some corals. I would say don't try any sps. I have a hammer, duncan, trumpet, lobo, finger leather, Kenya tree and some polyps. All seem to be doing great and are showing new growth, except for the lobo but I don't expect to see that. I don't target feed any of them so the lighting I have seems to be enough. I try to avoid any high light corals and place the moderate light corals up near the middle of my tank.

I have a 2 bulb HO T5 on my 29 gallon and have some corals. I would say don't try any sps. I have a hammer, duncan, trumpet, lobo, finger leather, Kenya tree and some polyps. All seem to be doing great and are showing new growth, except for the lobo but I don't expect to see that. I don't target feed any of them so the lighting I have seems to be enough. I try to avoid any high light corals and place the moderate light corals up near the middle of my tank.

Thanks this is def good news! I was thinking of starting with a kenya tree, button polyps, and possibly a torch coral for now. And maybe some mushrooms.

Duncans, Pipe Organs, Star Polyps, kenya Trees, and mushrooms should all do fine with 4 T5s. I know I have all of those on my 55 gallon.

I appreciate the help for sure. Tomorrow im going to get the test kits so i can test my ph and alkalinity so i know exactly where i stand as far as parameters go. Then i might start with zoas and a kenya tree.

I had Duncan's,mushrooms,zoas,palys, chalice, brains of different sorts and they all have done great under 4 t5 bulbs. Now I upgraded to led and they are doing a great deal better.

Back
Top Bottom