New lights- how to acclimate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_rivers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently over a standard 55 gal with 75 lbs live rock and some 'shrooms and a few polyps.

Right now I have a 48in standard light with 2x24in atinic bulbs near the front of the tank, and in the middle I have a 36in with 2x36 10000k coral life 50/50s. I just bought a customsealife POWERCOMPACT/ MOON-LITE- 48.5" (4X65W) and was worried about 'frying' the tank with 2 much light when I change it out.

Ideas and thought appreciated.

Thanks

The shrooms and soft coral polyps will still object slightly to the dramatic increase not to mention the possible outbreak of nuisance algaes. Try running the new lights for only 2-3 hrs/day for the first few days and then adding ½ hr every few days after that until you are up to the photoperiod desired (usually 10-12 hrs). If you start seeing noticable algae growth cut back until it subsides and then slowly increase again. The corals and coralline should be fine with reduced lighting for some time...

Cheers
Steve

Do you think I should move what I'm able to the bottom of the tank? Almost all of the shrooms and stuff are on small pieces of rock that can be easily moved to the bed of the tank. Most of it is placed pretty high right now.

smooth_rivers said:
Do you think I should move what I'm able to the bottom of the tank?
If you can move them safely it wouldn't hurt to go the extra step. Most likely they will close up a bit for the first few days but better safe than sorry. PC's are not as damaging as MH can be but with most soft corals, the most they usually do is close up and slough for a few days...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom