Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2004, 05:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Liverock Arrived: Fully Loaded

I now got a total of #40 gulf, #40 keys, and #60 base in my 110.

Just got #40 of gulf rock from liverocks.com and it's really good rock, with tons of life. I think I counted a least 5 mini-stars and a ton of other I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-looks-cool. I did find some aiptasia, but that's to be expected with rock so rich in life. Rock has some nice pink/reds that glow great under actinics.

The gulf rock has tons of life but I think I like the keys rock a little bit better overall due to its shape/size.

I don't have any good pictures of the rock, but I wanted to get some advice on the layout. Is it too crowded on the right side? Does it need more water/breathing room? Any other layout tips?

My apologies for the pictures. I have a pod/worm explosion blessing/curse and so it's hard to see into the tank (unclear both on the glass and inside). I would have cleaned it but didn't want any more of an ammonia spike than what I would get by adding the rock. Pods seem to just reoccupy whatever I clean within minutes anyways.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
Geez NS, you got a serious pod population there! My blenny would be in heaven! I cant even get that many pods going in my sump. I guess the lack of fish in the tank is helping that a lot.

Your rock setup looks good cool, but make sure those rocks are stable. Dont want them falling and squashing stuff. Especially once you get into corals.

I got 40 lbs of Keys yesterdfay from Liverocks as well. The rock is pretty nice, and heavily laden with brittle stars. I found 9 of them (2 were in pieces, may not live) and one of them was over 8 inches tip to tip! Since the only other star I have is a monster of a serpent (who will rush to me when he sees me and take food out of my hand, its cool!) all of them when into my 180 for cleanup.

I inspected every rock for mantis, but found none, little buggers are probably hiding really good. Had a couple of sponges, a small amount of macro algae growth, and a couple of encrusted clams. Worms and crabs galore, I swear the most fun is unpacking the box!

Old 07-31-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
YOur rock work looks great. My only concern would be to verfiy the left side is satable.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquascaping looks great! I have never ordered from liverocks.com but will get my next batch of LR from them after hearing all of the great responses. I made two mini-reefs in my 72 gal. (see gallery). It seems to have kept some aggression down. My purple tang and one royal gramma hang out in one reef and the others in the other one. Very little fighting for territory. Keep those pics coming!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Its great stuff. I recieved 40lbs on Tuesday with similar life. Agree about the Mantis, either we were lucky, or they are hiding real good. 8O
Considering ordering a little more this weekend (if the wife agrees )
Old 07-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all. It looks really really unstable but the odd thing is that it's quite stable; I didn't even have to use glue.

Quote:
Worms and crabs galore, I swear the most fun is unpacking the box
Agreed.

I didn't even do a dip or really inspect the rock too much, I figured I would do more harm trying to remove anything. I havn't heard any mantis shrimp yet, but I do hear what I think to be pistol shrimp (pops arn't multiple).
Old 07-31-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome setup! I do agree the most fun about liverock is unpacking it!!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

dude that rock scape is awesome!! very creative, open for fish to swim thru...
good job!

Tags
live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com