Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

Skimmers on cubes don't seem to produce much foam. Cyano should just blow away...must be something else related.
Agree cyano is easy to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
Yeah I have a koralia nano in there but I was thinking maybe getting something a little bigger? Also i saw on amazon I can get a protein skimmer that will fit in the back of the biocube. Would that help keep things under control?

A side note...I tried rubbing the black stuff off and it is really on there...it's almost a part of the rock
The skimmer may help, but I wouldn't spend much money on one in that size tank. I hear the ones for the biocube can be very hard to adjust to work properly. You may want to make a separate post about them in the equipment section.

If it's almost part of the rock then it's probably not a bad algae. Its the slimy stuff that you don't want to see. Anything that encrusts the rock is likely to be beneficial. I bet you don't have a problem at all!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well that's good news! I'm just really being cautious because of the last nightmare I had...thanks for the info. I'll make a separate thread regarding the skimmer. Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had black spots on my live rock before. I cleaned and rearranged my tank and I guess the rock didn't like being flipped over because the coralline algae started to die on that side and turned black. My water was perfect. I lessened my lighting time and built back up to where I was before and it's fine now. Idk if that's what did it but it happened to go away when I did.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I did lower the lightin time on the tank until I coral and more life in there. Hopefully between that and the small water changes I'll be ok.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'am currently curing some rock by itself in a trash can and have the same black spots/lines on the rocks.im thinking its just die off....
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco V
i'am currently curing some rock by itself in a trash can and have the same black spots/lines on the rocks.im thinking its just die off....
If live rock comes in with sponges they usually turn black as they decompose. If you take the rock out, smell it, and the spots stink you can scrub the dead black areas in a separate container with a new firm toothbrush. Removing dead sponges reduces the powerful ammonia spike that comes from new rock die-off. It helps other healthy life on the rock to survive.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did noticed some sponges on there before that aren't there now . Should they be scrubbed in SW or RODI?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could, but I'd leave it. Anerobic bacteria growth from die off on your rock. How old did you say it was? The live rock might have been out of the water a little too long, and or maybe it just got turned the wrong way
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would scrub them in SW to prevent further die off.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com