New Mantis nightmare acclimation update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thought I'd update everyone, whether you care or not :), on my peacock mantis shrimp.

I posted a note about receiving a new peacock mantis in very salty water and the nightmare acclimation that followed ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...light=&pc_tzo=-14400&pc_d=20060703&pc_t=46715 ). I posted in a couple forums and everyone was quite helpful.

Due to the stress, he did lose both his smasher appendages. However, he's molted successfully once already and has settled in nicely in his new environment.

I have to say, although I haven't had the privelege of seeing this little guy smash anything yet - it will probably take a couple more molts before his smashers grow back, this creatures is by far the most interesting animal I've ever owned. He's in a 20 gallon acrylic and I spend more time checking him out than I do anything in my 110 gallon show tank. He really has tons of personality, beautiful colors, and is a great conversation piece. Visitors love him - especially after I explain why he's in an acrylic tank. Most people don't even believe that this pretty little guy could hurt anything, nevermind be a killing machine.

Just thought I'd share how fun and easy these guys are to keep. I'm really happy he made it. I spent countless dollars building up a 110 with a 50 gallon sump/fuge. Who would have thought I could have been satisfied with a 20 gallon with no filtration and one creature in it?

Well, I could go on and on. The little guy rocks.

- Skins

good job! Now snap some pics of the elusive little creature if you can.

lando said:
good job! Now snap some pics of the elusive little creature if you can.

Just updated my avatar with this one. He's not elusive at all. I mean, he does spend most of his time in his burrow but he's out frequently. In fact, if you tap the tank he'll follow your fingers chasing them back and forth. I'm sure he just wants to play :D

Attachments

• drgonzo_132.jpg
    drgonzo_132.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 254
Very nice.

I can't tell from the pick - do you know what kind of mantis you've got there? How big is he, and what size tank to you have him/her in?

Is it me, or does he kind of resemble Yosemite Sam?

the lfs wasnt able to tell me what kind he is, but i love him. ive tried to look him up and see what kind he is, but its been difficult. hes still a bit shy, but loves to eat frozen food. i bought him as a present for my b/f and he has yet to have a name. weve got him in a pico right now (lfs barely gets them in, so i had to get him then, especially with his color) and is doin very well. we will eventually (sooner than later) get him the empty 10 gal.

i think you just named him - yosemite, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom