Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I don't think your problem is lighting. You have plenty with those CF for leathers. 3 leathers in such a small tank can lead to some chemical warfare between them. Are you running carbon? You say water parameters are fine, but what exactly are they? Specifically nitrate and phosphate.

You can look into T5 HO flourescents. I don't know the dimensions of your tank, but I don't think you can get T5's smaller than 24". The have way more PAR (intensity) than CF's and you can keep virtually any coral under them, including clams.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The single small leather keeps sort of flaking a bit of white away, and folding in. Most of the day only a few polyps come out at random sections on its surface. Rarely will they all come out. The other double leather is growing well (too well!), but throughout the day it changes from being really shrunk down, to brown, orange, black parts/dots on it, and the yellow one is even worse, it rarely extends, and remains shrunk/green for most of the day. The 2 leathers are at opposite ends of the tank.

I've looked into T5s before, and you're right, they start at 24", or 20" at best. My tank is just under 16" wide.

I also have a green brain/maze coral and a pink plate coral, which may need more lighting than I'm giving them, although the brain is halfway up the tank directly under one of the white lights.

I am running carbon in 2 internal filters. It's Seachem Matrix Carbon.

My nitrates are approx 5ppm, and it's PWC time tomorrow (30%). No phosphate kit, but I feed lightly only once a day usually, and use good quality RO water.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I told you you'd end up upgrading your light! lol

Actually the 150 watt would be great for clam/sps/anemone tank. ~12'' off the surface w/ a fan would be fine. You would top off like 1/3 gallon a day though.

The 70 watt should be perfect for what you have. You have to acclimate the corals to the light though.

The dimensions of your tank make it hard to find a light.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe! Well I wasn't intending to, but my corals aren't doing as well as I'd hoped. As there's not really many places to move them, and my water quality appears fine, I figured it was the light that was probablly a bit on the low side.

That 150w MH would be about 6" off the surface (no fan underneath, but it has an internal fan...), any high and it'd look stupid :p Also topping off 1L a day is enough as I'm doing at the mo!

I'd love to get a 50-70w MH, but the only one I can find that will fit is the JBJ Viper, which I've read about on many forums, and people have apparently had a lot of reliability problems with (parts breaking off, melting down, etc!).

I just want a clamp-on one, but the Haqos (too strong) and Viper (apparently unreliable, and don't like the design) seem to be my only options...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

What makes you think your corals are not doing okay?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
that link isnt working for me, where can i get these lights?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s not working for me either.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

This is just a 10g? Seriously, all you really need is a Coralife Aqualight (Quad) 96w. You should be able to keep clams and sps with such. Leathers do love their water flow so make sure they are getting plenty of it (indirect). Do you add any chemicals to the tank (Ca, Alk, Iodine?) What type of leathers do you have? What section of the coral is the flaking occuring from? What other corals are in your tank?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
where can you get one of the halides in the link that doesnt work?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
In case no one noticed, this thread is almost 1 year old. I dont think that light is available in the US, but here's a link to a place that does have it.

Here's an American version.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com