Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New MH Lighting

I'm thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 10G nano. I currently have 33w of CF (2 white/1 actinic), but the corals I've got aren't doing as well as they could be.

So, instead of letting them wither away and having to buy them again in the future, AND a new light, I'm thinking of getting a new light now to try and get them back on track.

I was looking at this Haqos 150w metal halide one:-
http://hellesdonbarnaquatics.net//pr...roducts_id=582

But, with 150w over such a small tank (10 US Gallons), won't it be too much?! Particularly for corals placed higher up the rock? And, what about the extra heat that the light will generate, and algae problems?

The bulb it comes with is 20k, I want a nice bright white light with a hint of blue/actinic, to bring out the fluorescent greens etc. Will 20k be a good colour? I don't want it TOO blue.

Also, will I have to photoacclimate my corals to this new light, with it being so much brighter?

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Wow! A 150 MH will fry that small tank IMO. Heat will be off the charts I'll bet. Algae growths etc. No coral would do well in that much light and heat. Maybe something placed under an overhang with shade from above.

I'd try to find maybe about 50w or so for that tank. No way should you consider that 150.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Ray...way too much light for a 10gal. If you are intent on going with MH then 50watts would be plenty. Otherwise, JBJ makes a clamp-on 70watt lamp called the vipor.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK guys It's just that most of my corals at the moment look like they could do with a lot more light, and I already have 33w. I'd also like to keep a maxima clam maybe as well...

Unfortunately, low-wattage MH clamp-on lights seem to be VERY sparse in the UK.

Could I get the 150W fixture, and just swap the bulb with a 70w HQI (double-ended, which is what it uses)?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could use that light if you just hang it high.

On the upside it would light up the whole room. :P
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol, true! It would like the whole room, which would be annoying, bit too bright! :p

It would be placed a good few inches above the water, but again I don't want it to blind me whenever I look over at my tank!

Could I use that light with a 70w HQI?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

No, the ballast and bulb must be rated for the same output.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Just order the 70W Viper-clip-on on the internet. You might pay a bit more for shipping, but you will have what will work for your setup.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
Either use the clip-on style lights or a DIY 70w hanging style. Pretty easy to wire up.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmarc
Just order the 70W Viper-clip-on on the internet. You might pay a bit more for shipping, but you will have what will work for your setup.
The only problem is the 70w Viper is £160, whereas the 150w Haqos with double the output is £150! Plus, the Haqos looks 10 times better.

I'll have a rethink...as I already have 33w (3.3-3.5WPG CF), will my 3 leathers that haven't been looking too good recently (changing colour, not extending polyps etc.), and my pink plate coral which has started losing its colour, be brought back to life a few days after I put the new light on?!

Or, may the better light still not help them? Water parameters are fine, I feed DT's Phyto, and the corals aren't getting stung etc.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com