New Monti has algae..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
2-3 weeks ago I bought a nice size Monti colony. It has really colored up since then but the center portion had a small dead spot where hair algae and possibly cyano are now growing. Can I put it in front of a ph for EXTRA flow to try and rid the algae or will this aggravate the good parts of the coral? (how much flow can they take?) Will moving it right under a MH help, assuming it's light acclimated?Any other solutions besides fragging? Any help here is really appreciated.

Moving it might be a good idea although not directly in front of a powerhead. You may also need to step up the total tank flow some. The accumulation of debris, algaes and such would indicate a dead spot or it's just in need a positioning tweek/angling.

As far as the affected area, syphon off the cyano and very very carefully/gentley use a new soft bristled toothbrush to remove the hair algae. If you can get your figers in there without breaking the coral yank some out first. Don't rub hard, just enough to pull the longer strands free. Once repositioned to get a bit more light and flow (nothing extreme), the algae should abate.

The monti should eventually grow over the dead area and look as good as new.

How's the water parameters?

Cheers
Steve

The reason why you dont put it close to the powerhead, is because the powerhead can rip off some of its polyps. What kind of monti is it? I got a montipora capricronis and it started to develop algae on its rims, to I directed my powerhead towards it and it is actually bringing its polyps out more! :D

Thanks guys. It's a Montipora Capri. As far as water goes, I'm not sure about phosphate, but everything else is good. This one particular coral is the only algae issue I have in the tank(knock wood!). It was in need of some TLC when I got it, the algae was already starting to grow and the color was a very light tan. As I said, the color is really improving, but the algae just won't go away....I repositioned the coral in a higher flow area near the top, and I'm going to "brush" it now. Are there any coral dips I should consider if it gets worse? Thanks guys.

Dips aren't going to help with something like this. Just keep the area as clean as possible and ensure the water specs remain good. It will eventually go away as long as it's getting decent water flow.

Cheers
Steve

They slime pretty easily when touched, no worries there. Just be sure as before it gets good water flow and it will go away.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom