New mushrooms - question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I put in my tank it looks like 3 varieties of mushrooms on a piece of rock i bought from a LFS. One variety is a green ricordia. Another looks like a smaller browner ricordia and another is a different kind of mushroom that I can't identify but it is pimply and has a mouth(?) in the middle of it - it is green and flourescent.

Well - since I placed this piece in my tank - it doesnt look as good as it did in the store. The ricordea opens up fully but doesnt have as rich of a color as it did and neither do the other mushrooms. The other pimply ones dont open up as far as they did at the store, but they do open and close during the day. They also look a little less vibrant, a little "whiter", but it doesnt seem like it was as drastic as if they bleached. I did not stress them out, drip acclimated for about 45 mintues. Placed them in bottom of my tank with no direct flow and my 2 x 39 w day bulbs and 2 x 39 watt actinics.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal for them to get used to my water?

My SG is between 1.022 and 1.023, which i am trying to get up slowly through PWCs. other than that my levels are all 0, ph 8.2, etc.

What should I watch out for and is this normal for them to once again look better soon. They've only been in less than a week and I would say they dont look bad just not the same as in the store. (store had MH setup but these were all the way at the bottom of a large vertical tank)

Imo your water quality is good other than your salinity being a little low. I wouldnt worry to much about it yet, I think your just dealing with them acclimating to there new water and they will prob look just as good as they did in the lfs in a week or two.

okay guys. Theyve been in for almost a week now, so hopefully its just an adjustment phase. I am like ridiculously anal about things and I want to not have anything bad happen lol, especially to such expensive/ pretty little mushies. Well, theyre not too expensive compared to other things they are acutally cheap lol.

On a side note I added a new fish, and eclipse Hog, who had just come in and didnt look too happy to be in a small display tank with about 30 tiny fish, many damsels included. So i tried to rescue him and while acclimating he didnt look so hot. I figured he had a better chance with me then at the LFS. Poor little guy didnt last through the night even though when I popped him in the main tank he looked like he would take.

Brought him back and got the clean bill of health on my H20, so I exchanged for a cool white and orange goby. He is much healthier and chills in my cave. Bugs out whenever I come in the room and hides right away. Hes quickly becoming bolder though.

30 long for me, if u mean the one in the store, it was a fresh shipment of many many small damsels, gobys, cardinals, a madarin or 2, all about 1-2 inch fish - but it was wayyyy over stocked. It was about a 20 gallon long id say. Wayyy overstocked, but they arent meant to be in there long i guess. Still, I wouldn't do it if it was my store.

No I meant yours. We will see how yours goes. This is what mine looked like and what they look like now minus the hundreds I have sold. I think over time they will be OK.

09220006.jpg

100_0699.jpg

Hey melosu should the shrooms be flapping in the current or should they be at a stand still? I got some a few weeks back and they aren't opening fully at all. I had them at the bottom of my tank with hardly any flow towards them. I have just move them to a little better flow area in my tank. One is flapping a little with the current. So my question is should they flap or not to open all the way, hope that make some sense. I will try to post pictures tomorrow maybe.

It seems as if mine like to twitch with the current every now and then. As long as they arent in direct flow I think thats where mushrooms are supposed to be. My friend's mushrooms do very well and he has a low flow tank.

I would say that flapping might be too strong. Mine are ike swaying a little if that makes any sense. They dont like alot of current but they do like some.

I check the red mushroom that I got from a local reefer (his pictures) and it seems that they opened just as much as in the picture, so I guess they are open all the way. Personally I don't think they are though. As for my green hairy mushroom, it opens all the way with the lights out. I turned the moonlight on at night to check on my tank, and I saw that the green one is open all the way. During the day it is about 80% open. Can't move it anymore since it has been since stuck to where I put it.

Back
Top Bottom