Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
New nano coral tank

Hi guys,

In a few days I'll be getting a Fluval Edge to use a a coral-only tank (with live rock), as a number of people have done.

It's only a very small tank (23L), but I'll be upgrading the lights (again as others have successfully done) to two MR16 LEDs (6k-6.5k) @ 240 lumens each, which I'm told will be the same equivalent output as a 35w or 50w halogen per bulb (I forget which). The LEDs also have a wide beam angle (120°). I'll also be adding a blue LED strip to complement the white bulbs, and to stay on for an hour before/after. I can also add a nano powerhead for extra flow if required.

As the lights are obviously very close to the water and the tank is very small (so the rock/corals will/can be very close to the lights), what sort of corals will I be able to add?

Obviously size will be a big factor, but I'm hoping to add a number of soft corals, and even some SPS/LPS? I've had softies in a previous tank before, but never any SPS/LPS, so any advice on which I can add, and how best to care for them (adding calcium etc.) and feed etc. would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fluval_edge_burnt_orange.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	27391  

MarkW19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If it were me i would make this into a tank full of zoas and mushrooms. They are easy to care for and will tolerate the swings in parameters of such a small tank. They come in a rainbow of colors and are also non territorial so you can put them all together.

pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i still think those plug in LED bulbs won't put off enough light to support much.
the quote" same equivalent output as a 35w or 50w halogen per bulb" which i saw on the same website i'm sure you did, is very vague. first i believe it said "about" and secondly, does anyone know how much PAR a halogen bulb puts out?
how about these LED bulbs? anyone get a PAR reading on them?

sps is definitely out of the question.
my opinion without any concrete data on the lamps: this is going to be a softy tank.

as for feeding and such, you already know they require no feeding, just light. also, no additives need to be added either, providing you do water changes.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, nano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com