New nano coral tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,

In a few days I'll be getting a Fluval Edge to use a a coral-only tank (with live rock), as a number of people have done.

It's only a very small tank (23L), but I'll be upgrading the lights (again as others have successfully done) to two MR16 LEDs (6k-6.5k) @ 240 lumens each, which I'm told will be the same equivalent output as a 35w or 50w halogen per bulb (I forget which). The LEDs also have a wide beam angle (120°). I'll also be adding a blue LED strip to complement the white bulbs, and to stay on for an hour before/after. I can also add a nano powerhead for extra flow if required.

As the lights are obviously very close to the water and the tank is very small (so the rock/corals will/can be very close to the lights), what sort of corals will I be able to add?

Obviously size will be a big factor, but I'm hoping to add a number of soft corals, and even some SPS/LPS? I've had softies in a previous tank before, but never any SPS/LPS, so any advice on which I can add, and how best to care for them (adding calcium etc.) and feed etc. would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• fluval_edge_burnt_orange.jpg
    fluval_edge_burnt_orange.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 78
If it were me i would make this into a tank full of zoas and mushrooms. They are easy to care for and will tolerate the swings in parameters of such a small tank. They come in a rainbow of colors and are also non territorial so you can put them all together.

i still think those plug in LED bulbs won't put off enough light to support much.
the quote" same equivalent output as a 35w or 50w halogen per bulb" which i saw on the same website i'm sure you did, is very vague. first i believe it said "about" and secondly, does anyone know how much PAR a halogen bulb puts out?
how about these LED bulbs? anyone get a PAR reading on them?

sps is definitely out of the question.
my opinion without any concrete data on the lamps: this is going to be a softy tank.

as for feeding and such, you already know they require no feeding, just light. also, no additives need to be added either, providing you do water changes.

Back
Top Bottom